CHAPTER 23: Now

“You’re going to be a wonderful dad,” I whisper to Harry’s sleeping form. “Please don’t leave us.”

My voice wavers and I let out a trembling breath. My ears strain to hear the heart monitor, the quiet beeps too distant from one another. The interval between each tone seems far too long and my own heart begins to pump faster as if that will make up for the slow beating of Harry’s heart.

The forceful pounding in my head has returned and I can feel myself on the verge of a breakdown. I shut my eyes, the tears slowly escaping from beneath my eyelids. A tear drops on my hand and I unconsciously wipe it away before realizing that it had landed on my scar. Harry needs you. Stay—for him.

It’s hard to stay knowing that the person you love can leave you at any moment. It’s the risk that comes with love, and I was willing to take that risk since the very first day. But the hope and courage I get from being with Harry seems to be failing me now. Because, in a way, I am not with him at all. This is a different type of distance, and it’s the most painful one I have experienced. Even though Harry is within my touch, not hundreds of miles away, I feel so far apart from him, and the worst part is that there is nothing I can do to bring him back.

All I can think about it how easy it would be to go back to two months ago. When I would wake up in the morning to Harry’s soft lips on mine and go to sleep the same way. When life was simple because I knew that I had Harry with me. When I believed that everything would be okay, no matter what, because we still had our whole life together ahead of us.

Why can’t we just go back?