CHAPTER 9: Now

“Every time you left, I missed you so much,” I whisper, staring down at Harry’s sleeping figure.

How could I go on if he left me this time—for good? I force the terrifying thought into the back of my mind.

There is a soft knock on the door and I turn around to see the doctor standing in the doorway. He is a tall, thin man, probably in his late 40s, with tired blue eyes and thin graying hair. His left hand hangs onto a clipboard at his side.

“Mrs. Styles, we need you to step out for a moment so we can check Harry’s vital conditions,” he says calmly. I notice how professional he sounds, using my title rather than calling me by my first name as my doctors normally did. I hesitate to stand up but do so after the doctor gives me an expectant nod. “It’ll only be a few minutes. Just procedure,” he reassures me.

I look back at Harry one more time, taking in his smooth skin and soft curls, before I leave the room without a word. Instead of going into the waiting room where the others are, I step outside a side door and sit down on the cold pavement.

Hugging my knees, I lean my back against the brick wall and close my eyes. The chilly night air stings my bare arms, but I find myself welcoming the numbing pain. It is an appropriate reflection of what I feel on the inside. I hear a sound and I open my eyes to see the nurse stepping out through the door.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she says, suddenly noticing me on the ground. She hesitates. “Would you like to go back inside?” Her voice is gentle and I feel like I am the patient at this hospital, not Harry. I shake my head.

“I think I’ll stay out here for a while longer,” I say faintly. I expect the nurse to head back inside, but, to my surprise, she sits down next to me, stretching her legs out in front of her. For a second, she stares off into the parking lot illuminated by the glowing street lights. A light breeze sifts through her brown hair.

“Jenny,” she says unexpectedly, turning to look me in the eyes. “As a nurse, I’ve seen hundreds of patients. I remember each and every one of them, but I’ve never really taken the chance to get to know them individually. You know why? Because I’m afraid of how I will feel if they don’t make it. But I’m starting to think that’s a mistake. So I’m taking the opportunity right now to tell you that what you and Harry have is special.” She pauses, an almost curious expression on her face. “Never before have I seen two people look at each other with as much love as I saw you two look at each other tonight. Your love for each other is powerful. And that kind of love can perform miracles.” As she stands up, I catch a glimpse of her nametag under the low light.

“Thank you, Yerza,” I say softly, looking up at her. Her white uniform seems to glow in the moonlight, and, for a moment, she looks like an angel. Yerza nods and gives me a slight smile as she silently steps back inside the building.

Once again, I am alone, but something has changed inside me. The pain is still there but it seems as if a seed of a feeling has been planted and is starting to grow. It’s a familiar sensation and it takes me a moment before I realize the feeling is hope.

The emotion seems to trigger a memory and I suddenly remember something that I had learned years ago—that love comes with heartache, and the only way to know how strong your love is for each other, is to see if it can conquer the pain.