I Bet My Life

I know I took the path that you would never want for me

I know I let you down, didn't I?So many sleepless nights where you were waiting up on meWell I'm just a slave unto the night
Now remember when I told you that's the last you'll see of meRemember when I broke you down to tearsI know I took the path that you would never want for meI gave you hell through all the years
So I, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on youI, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on you

The cast of family and friends gathered all in black are in stark contrast to the stunning California day filled with brilliant blue skies, warm weather and a slight breeze. The green grass now covering the recent grave gives way as the headstone is placed. It's been 10 years since Tara made her choice, 10 years since she's been back to Charming and to come home for this has been devastating.

The funeral was days ago, and she still can't believe he's gone. She thought that maybe coming to see the words etched in stone placed to mark his final resting might make it seem more believable. She hears footsteps and knows she's not alone. Turning she sees the sadness in Althea's face. It was her husband they laid to rest.

Filip "Chibs" Telford, was never a man of many word, and his marker was no different. His name, the SONS logo, and the dates are all that are etched.

I've been around the world and never in my wildest dreams

Would I come running home to youI've told a million lies but now I tell a single truthThere's you in everything I do
Now remember when I told you that's the last you'll see of meRemember when I broke you down to tearsI know I took the path that you would never want for meI gave you hell through all the years
So I, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on youI, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on you

After moving to Oregon with Jax, they decided that the plan they had set in place for him, would be the same for Filip. The kids would spend summers in Charming and for the holidays Chibs come to their place.

They married a year after she showed up at his house. It was a beautiful ceremony, held in their backyard. It was filled with love and laughter, and friends new and old shared in the day. Chibs did not attend, but sent his love. Jax understood, as he knew it could have been him on the other end.

They made it work though. Every summer the kids had so much fun, and when Chibs and Jarry found their way back to one another they both came out for all the holidays. Somehow they all moved past the pain and found that family really wasn't limited to those you shared blood with.

So when Jax walk into the bedroom one evening, his face ashen as he relayed the details of the accident and the Chibs hadn't survive the hit and run. Everything turned on its head. The kids were in shock, but in usual teenager fashion had blocked it out with friends and technology and slowly they all healed, Jax, Tara, Althea, Abel, Thomas, Charlie and The Sons.

Don't tell me that I'm wrong

I've walked that road beforeAnd left you on your ownAnd please believe them when they sayThat it's left for yesterdayAnd the records that I've playedPlease forgive me for all I've done
So I, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on youI, I bet my life, I bet my lifeI bet my life on you

As with all things time marched on and Abel is now 22, and living with his girlfriend Sarah in Boston working on his medical degree at Harvard. It never fails to amaze Jax that something he created, something he raised made it into Harvard Medical School. Thankfully it seems the years have wiped the bad memories of his childhood away and Abel is a strong capable man.

Thomas is 18, having just graduated high school he's been working full time since his sophomore year when he created a non profit to bring laughter to children with a terminal illness that have to make extended stays in the hospital. Jax chuckles to himself that his amazing wife has rubbed off on them.

And last but certainly not lest is Charlie. His adorable little girl, one that insists on wearing jeans just a little too tight and tank tops he's swears are a size too small, even when Tara reminds him of what she use to wear. What a bad influence he smirks. The best thing about 17 year old Charlie is that she doesn't even realize what a heart breaker she is. She is every bit her fathers daughters, spending every minute possible she's a top rate mechanic and even though they had many "heated discussion", as Tara called their numerous fights regarding the SONS, she still becomes the first female prospect and even though he knows he shouldn't encourage it, Jax has to admit that even as a prospect she's leaving every other potential in the dust and he's proud.

Kenny sits at the head of the table his grandfather helped build, having kept the club in the family and in legal pussy and a legalized pot the bloody legacy of the Sons of Anarchy seems to finally have come to an end. One day he knows if she plays her card right, and he knows she will, Charlie will be the first female president to ever sit at the head of a redwood table.

So I, I bet my life, I bet my life
I bet my life on you
I, I bet my life, I bet my life
I bet my life on you

Lyrics – I Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons

Authors Note:  Thank you to everyone who took the time read, comment, or like this story.  I write to keep myself sane, so it's a plus that anyone reads and enjoys it.  Thank you! Thank you!

Disclaimer:  None of this belongs to me.  It all belongs to Kurt Sutter and I love him for it.