Part 3: Allergy It Was!

Naira was searching along with others, Naksh returned and informed them that Kartik was nowhere to be found. They were still looking for him when she involuntarily started moving towards Kartik's room. They had checked the room, he was not there but Naira had to see for herself. It was a weird feeling, she felt something pulling her in that direction. The moment she entered the room, she could sense Kartik's presence and she moved towards the sofa. The moment she looked behind it, she found Karthik in this terrible condition. He was lying there, hyperventilating, covered in sweat and almost unconscious. Naira shouted his name and he responded to her voice in a low moan. He said her name and Naira shouted for Mishti and the other family members. She moved the sofa and rushed to his side. She tried to wake him up but the moment she touched him, her heart stopped. He was burning with fever. Naira completely broke down seeing his condition, he was completely red and clearly in a lot of pain. The families came in rushing, Dadi broke into a shrill cry seeing her Kittu in that state. The kids panicked and so Priyanka and Varsha took them to another room. Both Naksh and Akhilesh called for doctors but they couldn't come there immediately as the place was far from the main city and it was late. The doctors were going to take some time to reach there. Manish had tears in his eyes, no one could figure out what was happening to him. Swarna who was sitting beside Kartik suddenly rushed out of the room and came back with a first aid kit in her hand. She opened the box and took out an epinephrine autoinjector. Dadi was scared looking at the pointed end that Swarna just uncovered and everyone surrounding Kartik stared at Swarna, trying to figure out what she is doing.

Dadi: Ye tum kya kar rhi ho Swarna?

Swarna: Maa ji, Kartik ko allergy ho gyi hai. Lagta hai usne walnut kha liya hai kahin se jiske wajah se ye sab ho raha hai. Hume use ye injection dena hoga jab tak ki doctor yahan nhi aa jatein.

Dadi: Haan haan, de do.

Manish was extremely scared, he couldn't lose his son, and Naitik, being a father himself, understood his situation, came near him and consoled him. Swarna's hands were shivering, she obviously knew that her son was scared of injections, but she had to do it in order to save his life. She held Kartik's waist to steady his legs and injected the medicine into his thigh. As she gave him the shot, she herself and Naira, both hissed at the same time, as if the shot was given to them. Kartik screamed in pain moments after the shot was injected.

Kartik: Maa (accidentally holds Swarna's hand that was on his waist)

Swarna squeezes his hand in return and Kartik pulls her hand to his heart, calling out Maa once again. Swarna felt complete at once but his condition did not let her feel happy. Swarna pulled her hand away but Kartik did not allow her. She once again attempted, and Kartik, being weak now, left. Swarna broke the injector and handed it to Surekha to dispose it off. Naira kept her hands on his cheeks, asking him to be brave, telling him that she was there for her. The shot worked immediately and Kartik, who had his eyes shut till now, opened them slightly.

Karthik (coughing but yet trying to speak in between): Na..Nai..Naira

Naira: Ssshhh... Kartik, main yahi hun, tumhare paas, hum sab hai, tumhe kuch nhi hoga, tum bas himmat rakho.

Kartik squeezed his eyes shut once again and yelled in pain. The men came forward to pick him up and put him on bed. They covered him with a blanket and Swarna and Naira started rubbing his hands. Rajshree and Devyani ran to the kitchen and got a bowl of ice cold water and a few strips of cloth to put on Kartik's forehead. They handed it to Naira who started putting the cold strips on him immediately. Swarna moved toward Kartik's feet, opened his shoes and started rubbing his feet while Dadi came near his side and filled the place occupied by Swarna earlier. Kartik was becoming normal, though his eyes were shut, they could already feel him relaxing, he wasn't hyperventilating anymore. Soon the doctor came in and all except Naira got off the bed, allowing the doctor to check on Kartik.

Doctor: Inhe kisi cheez se allergy hai jiske contact mein aane ke kaaran inki tabyat itni kharab ho gyi.

Swarna: Ji doctor, Kartik ko walnut se allergy hai, mujhe bhi shak hai isne galati se walnut kha liya hai.

Doctor: Allergy ka pata hai toh inhe khayal rakhna chahiye. Ye allergy inki jaan bhi le sakti thi agar aap logon ne inhe epinephrine time par nhi diya hota toh. Apne medication dekar bahut hi acha kaam kiya warna situation haath se nikal jati.

Kartik opened his eyes now, feeling much better but the pain was still evident in his eyes. He looked towards Naira and assured her that he was okay. Naira looked at Swarna with thank you written all over her face. Swarna assured her that she didn't need to thank her and that it was all going to be fine. Manish came close to Swarna and put his hands on her shoulder, squeezing it slightly, his way of thanking her and showing her that she indeed was the best mother.

Naira: Doctor ab sab thik hai na? Kartik ko abhi bhi bahut tez bukhar hai.

Kartik: Main thik hun, I am feeling much better.

Doctor: Ji abhi chinta ki baat nhi hai. He has stabilized already,  bas ye kuch medicines hai, fever, pain and rashes ke liye. You need to rest for the next few hours, no stress, physical or mental. Subah tak aapki allergy puri tarah thik ho jayegi and the medicines would wear off too and then you will be perfectly fine to enjoy your wedding. Just rest for the night Mr. Kartik.

Kartik: Thanks doctor.