Three: What The Heck I Gotta Do

Laurens

I left my bedroom and shut the door so Peggy could have privacy while changing. Herc was asleep by now, Alex should be home any minute. I went through the house and out the front door, leaving it open so I could get back in. I went across the hallway and knocked on the Shuyler's door twice before it was yanked open.

An older girl stood there- I saw her earlier when taking Peggy home. She wore a dark orange jacket with a lighter shirt tucked into a dark brown short skirt. She had thigh-high dark brown boots with a think heel. "Peggy?" She exclaimed as she opened the door, then, she looked at me. "Oh... It's you... Can I help you?"
"You must be Angelica. I'm John Laurens, I live next door," I said while extending my hand for her to shake- she did.
"Can I help you?" She repeated.
"I, um... I saw Peggy ran out earlier crying, and I went out to find her. She was crying outside at the park in the rain, and I took her back here," I explained, she smiled.
"Oh God... Where is she?" She asked.
"I brought her back here but she refused to go back in your house. She's at my apartment by herself changing into more comfortable clothes," I answered.
"So... She doesn't want to see me? What did you say to her-"
"I didn't say anything. She just needs to be by herself. I just wanted to let you know she's safe," I interrupted.
Angelica glared at me. "Tell her to come home."
And with that, she slammed the door in my face. I stood there, then, I went back inside my apartment. I shut the door behind me then headed for my bedroom. I knocked on the door, waited, and then went inside. Peggy was sitting on my bed in my clothes- she was holding her soaking wet clothes. I went over and took them from her, went into the bathroom and tossed them into the dryer. I went back to the room and Peggy hadn't moved. Tears were still dripping down her cheeks and she was sniffling, but she just starred at the floor. I went over and sat down next to her, she rested her head on my shoulder and I wrapped my arm around her.
"What happened?" I asked, she sniffled and wiped her nose with her hand.
"I... Um... I-I got yelled at by my sisters, a-and... They said I was a p-prostitute... And, I just got... Screamed at... I can't be neglected anymore... It's always about them... They don't even c-care about me..." She stuttered, I just rubbed her back.
"Don't say that, Peggy. They care about you- they just... Had a bad moment. You can spent the night here, okay? I won't make you go home. But if you want to, tell me- I'll walk you back," I said, she sniffled again.
"I don't want to go back."
"You don't have to."
She smiled and starred at me, I starred back. She smiled and then looked at the ground.
God, she was adorable.
"John- I know it sounds... Weird. B-But I feel like I've known you for a long time," Peggy whispered out.
"No, it's not weird," I replied. "I feel that too."
"Why are you so nice to me?" Peggy asked while looking back at me.
"You deserve me being nice to you," I responded.
Again, she smiled and continued to stare at me. I didn't mind it, though. I loved starring at her, too. She looked away and yawned, then she rubbed her eyes and looked back at the ground.
"It's getting late. Why don't you lay down and sleep," I said, she nodded.

I left the room and went into the bathroom to change. I tied my hair behind my head and put it in a 'man bun.' I took off my shirt and tossed it in the laundry basket, then I put on grey sweatpants and white socks. I left the bathroom and went back into my room- Peggy was fast asleep. I smiled, then walked over and put my blanket over her. I grabbed another blanket and a small pillow from the closet and went to the small couch in the corner and fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"John! JOHN!"

I opened my eyes slowly, before a pillow struck me right in the face. I pushed myself up and focused my eyes, Peggy was sitting up in my bed starring at me, when I finally pushed myself up, she smiled.

"What... What happened?" I yawned out, she giggled.
"Why are you sleeping on the couch? Your beds over here," she whispered- not trying to wake Herc or Alex.
"I have the bed to you, remember?" I asked.
"There's room for you, too," she replied, I starred at her. "I just feel bad I'm taking your bed."
"If you want me to-"
"Yes!" She interrupted. "I, um.. Yeah, sure."

I smiled and rolled my eyes playfully, then pushed myself up and walked over to my bed. I laid next to Peggy and she tossed half the blanket on me. Almost as soon as she closed her eyes, she was fast asleep, she had a hell of a day. I laid down in bed and starred at the ceiling for about five minutes, before Peggy rolled over onto my chest. I looked down- she was still asleep, but she started smiling.

Her head rested against my chest, and her right arm rested across my stomach. I smiled, then wrapped my arm over her. What the hell was going on with me? I'm treating her like the way I used to treat Maria... It's funny- they look so alike but act so different. Maria just wanted to sleep with whoever she could get her hands on- she thought sex was the only was to thank a man considering her boyfriend was a complete asshole to her. He beat her, cheated on her, mistreated her. He was shit to her.

But Peggy- was so kind and caring, trusting and beautiful. She was exactly what I wanted- what I needed. But I had only just met her- she couldn't be this perfect. There was no way.

The next morning, I woke up before Peggy. She was still sleeping on my chest, looking adorable. I pushed myself up a little bit, and she still slept. I ran my fingers through her curly hair, she smiled. I looked over at the clock, it was about nine thirty, it was early for any of the guys to be awake. Then, Peggy yawned as she slowly opened her eyes. She looked around, then looked up at me. We starred at each other for a minute, before she looked away and pushed herself up.

"I... I'm sorry, John... I didn't realize I fell asleep on you," she said.
"No, it's fine. I didn't mind. At all," I responded, she smiled and went back to laying on my chest, and I went back to playing with her hair, and then, I started humming. I didn't even realize I WAS humming or what song I was humming to. I didn't realize it, but Peggy did.

"What the heck I gotta do, to be with you?" She sung, I raised an eyebrow.
"What?" I asked.
"21 Chump Street- that's what you're humming. What the heck I gotta do, to be with you?" She laughed, and the girl could sing.
"You know 21 Chump Street?" I asked.
"I love it," she responded.

I smiled. It's impossible to be this perfect.

"So, you should let me make you breakfast," I offered, she raised an eyebrow at me.
"You can cook?"
"Yeah, actually," I said as I got out of bed. "I'll call you when it's ready."

I hurried to the kitchen and started going through what we had in the fridge- I finally decided on pancakes, and by the time I was mixing everything in the pancakes, Herc and Alex came into the kitchen. Alex hurried over and sat on top of the counter and Herc ran over to the speaker sitting on the counter and plugged his phone into it. I rolled my eyes at both of them- I swear they were both secretly six year olds trapped inside nineteen year old bodies.

Soon enough, I heard the introduction to 'Wavy' come on- that's mine and Herc's song. Herc put it on full blast as we started dancing stupidly around the kitchen. Alex laughed while sitting on the counter, then, Peggy came in laughing and singing along to the lyrics. She was laughing too, having a great time. She came over to me and started dancing with me. And in that time- in that moment-

I forgot about everyone else in the room.