{4}-The Hastings Manor Is My Version Of Hell

As she pulled on her well-fitted blazer, Spencer Hastings smiled into the glistening mirror situated in the corner of her perfect bedroom. Today was the dreaded day that her sister returned home, her townhouse was being decorated so Melissa got to stay in the barn whilst Spencer had to sleep in her old room. Not that she was complaining, her room had the perfect view from the cute window, let alone it was still filled with books and a queen sized bed. The Hastings manor was perfect anyway and so were the family that lived inside.

Veronica Hastings, successful lawyer and sweet mother of two. Peter Hastings, yet another successful lawyer who had won most of the trophies at a local country club. Melissa Hastings, a university student who had aced high school. And then there was Spencer, Spencer felt like she had been adopted. She didn't fit in with the rest of her family, they were effortlessly perfect but Spencer kept getting things wrong. She was seriously competitive and that was considered a bad trait as she would ditch the etiquette and skip straight to plain mean.

Maybe that's why the rest of the Hastings always looked so picture perfect, they never dropped their manners no matter the situation. If somebody had just run over their daughter or killed their cat they would sit by and say their please and thank-yous. Spencer found this extremely annoying and unrealistic, she would go crazy if she had to stick it out in their any longer, especially after all she had gone through.

Spencer had spent her whole life being over-shadowed, either by her sister Melissa or her old best friend Alison. Socially Alison won at everything, she had the most friends and the biggest romances, Spencer always tried but failed no matter what she did differently. With Melissa it was different, they battled over things such as smarts and how they did things, Spencer would come second and Melissa would always come first, she beat Spencer at everything and for that Spencer hated her.

They had never seriously got on, even as kids Melissa would boss Spencer around as she was older and got the final word. As teens, they would squabble over stealing each other's tops or cliche stuff like that, of course, Melissa always won, she had the winning gean whilst Spencer had the bad tempered gean.

"Spence, Melissa's here," her mom announced calling up the stairs, Spencer took a deep breath, time to be entirely overshadowed and ignored by the perfectness that is Melissa Hastings. Spencer slowly took the stairs, she let out a heavy breath as she watched Melissa chatting with her father about the townhouse, she already had them hanging on her every word. Behind her stood someone about her age, boyish haircut with a dazed glance, he seemed almost overwhelmed with the Hastings Manor. Then again, who wouldn't be?

Their house was gigantic, situated in a small town but the large victorian walls and the extravagant gardens made it hard to forget. You name it, they had it. This was the competition to their perfectness, a perfect place to reside in.

Spencer tried to announce herself by clearing her throat but Melissa just kept talking, the guy standing behind her though raised an eyebrow when he saw her before nodding to her. Spencer guessed that Melissa hadn't mentioned to her new boyfriend that she had a sister that was less perfect, pretty and proper than herself. Finally, her sister stopped talking to acknowledge Spencer's presence. "Hello Spencer," she smiled before going towards their mom and discussing the dinner they were to partake in later this evening.

Spencer shrugged and slouched down on the old couch, this was going to be one long evening. "Hi there, mind if I sit?" The guy asked gesturing to the old armchair next to the sofa, Spencer shook her head and smiled, here was somebody else blocked by her sister. "Wren," he extended a hand to Spencer. He had the cutest British accent and according to the few letters home, he was a trainee doctor, then again that could be completely made up to score points against Spencer.