[04- New House]

I instantly fell in love with the house. It was a modest sized house, nothing too extravagant for a small town. The earthy bricks complemented the lush forest Oregon was famous for. The air smelt incredible, the unique blend of pine and damp earth combined with old fallen leaves was unlike anything I had ever experienced. The house was on the end of a secluded street, making it exceptionally quiet but only a 15 minute walk to the hospital if you cut through the clearing to the left of the house.

"This house came on the market about a month ago. We had to make some modifications but for the most part everything is accessible. What a find!" He remarked as he twisted the key into the lock.

(House plan)

(House plan)

Dad gave me the tour, pointing out all the rooms, all our stuff still in boxes.

"So this is your room," he said pointing to the door next to mom's study, "Its got a nice big window and the bathroom has a good shower for you. I've already unpacked most of your furniture."

"Thanks dad! It looks awesome!" I exclaimed, wrapping my arms around his torso. He smiled at my unexpected remark, I hadn't shown this much excitement in over a month, "I'll let you get settled in."

The best thing about my parents was that they didn't hover, they always gave me my space. It was nice to be alone, not to have to smile and look pleasant every time they looked at me, which after the accident, happened a lot.

I was given the west bedroom that faced the front yard. My old room had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge so it was a bit of a down grade but I couldn't complain. This room looked out to some of the most beautiful pine trees, they must have been hundreds of years old. My new room had practically the same layout as my old one, bed pushed against the side of the wall, white headboard next to the window. Dad had already hung my posters of my favorite soccer and football teams. The soft blue bed spread added a necessary pop of color against the grey walls. Next to my white desk were boxes, filled with my school work and clothing. My bed and dresser were lowered so it was easier to use.

School started tomorrow. I was so nervous, it was going to be a huge change. New friends, new classes. Mom told me that the school only had 226, now 227. There were more than seven hundred people in my old school. All of the kids here had grown up together—their grandparents had been toddlers together. I would be the new girl, a freak, the one so obviously different.

I moved to the mirror mounted on the wall and faced my gloomy expression. Yeah, it wasn't just the wheelchair that made me stick out. I looked... depressed. The accident took more than just the use of my legs. It took my happiness.

I was taking English, math, chemistry, world history, and biology. School wasn't going to be hard. Most of the courses I had already completed in my old school, learning them early meant I didn't fall behind when I competed in track competitions. I wanted to spend my senior year at my old school, with my friends and teachers that I had come to love, but considering the circumstances, this had to be the next best thing. Anyways I only had a couple months at this school, it wasn't like anything major would happen.

This week, mom booked me in to see the doctor at the local hospital. If this initial meeting went well, he would be one of my points of contacts for any complications I may have. He would also set us up with a physiotherapist if needed. On the plane ride she kept on talking about how good he was. According to her, he was the best of the best, though  I didn't understand why he would choose to live in a small town like Oakridge.