[28- Facing Reality]

After about five minutes of running, he stopped by a river. We sat on a massive boulder that overlooked the rushing water, a curtain of dark lavender flowers providing a barrier against the droplets of water. The tranquility was incredible; the burbling of the river, the maple leaves scraping together, the faint clicking of ants following each other in a long line up the bark of the nearest tree.

"I just to come here a lot. When we first moved to Oakridge back in 1965, I found it hard to be around so many humans, so I would come out here, gather my thoughts." I found it hard to listen, my parents were still on my mind.

He paused, noticing my concerned face before continuing. "My parents thought I was dead too. I wanted to come back so many times. I would have sacrificed anything just to see their faces one last time but it's too dangerous. We didn't belong in the same world anymore. What do you think your parents would do if they saw you? You died in front of them."

"I know. I'm not ready to say goodbye. They gave me everything," I said softly. My parents must have been heart broken. I was their whole world and they were mine. They had sacrificed so much for me and I never repaid them. I wanted to cry but my new body wouldn't allow it. It was horrible that they thought I had died but even worse was that I was alive, able to see them.

I couldn't muster up the will to talk so we just sat in silence, taking in the surroundings.

Emmett put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer. I wrapped my arm around his hard torso, burying my face in his chest. For my human self it would have felt cold, but now he was the perfect temperature. I wondered how much time had passed but I was too comfortable in Emmett's arms to ask.

"Eleanor Rose Parks," he said after a couple hours of stillness. I didn't know how he knew my middle name, "For almost a century I've walked among my kind, and yours... all the time thinking I was complete in myself, not realising what I was seeking. And not finding anything, because you weren't alive yet. The last few months have been the best of my existence. I don't know what's going to happen but I hope I can spend the rest of forever with you," his voice melted. I could not answer immediately, lost as I was in the velvet folds of his voice. It was the most perfect symphony, a symphony in one instrument, an instrument more profound than any created. I was taken aback and had no response, other than a smile.

Night was beginning to fall, the sun slowly descending back into the trees.

"Should we go back?" I asked, breaking the serenity.

"I want a rematch! On your mark..." Finding my way back was simpler than I thought. Our scent left a clear and easy trail to follow. I was running as fast as I could, my legs gliding across the forest floor. If only my track coach could see me now. Emmett must have been a mile behind, but as I approached the house, I slowed down, allowing him to catch up.

"I won," I announced, seeing the defeat resonant in his eyes.

Alice was standing by the back door, her face bursting with excitement.

"I want to show you to your room." She said, Emmett chuckled.

"But Carlisle only offered to let me stay this morning."

"I already knew you would be joining our family. I started redecorating when you were in the hospital." I was shocked but it shouldn't have been a surprise, she could tell the future.

Alice led me upstairs, stopping at the room next to Carlisle's office. She opened the door and beckoned me inside.

The floor was covered with a thick golden carpet, and the walls were hung with heavy fabric in a slightly darker shade. On the side of the room was a desk with a huge monitor. It was definitely expensive, I could already tell the resolution was incredible.

"Emmett told me you like computers," Alice said when she noticed my gaping mouth, her tone bemused. Curious, I opened one of the desk drawers and to my surprise, found all of my coding notebooks, containing outlines for apps and hacking. I must have spent hours brainstorming in them during high school.

"How did you get this here?"

"Jasper and I snuck into your old house and grabbed them."

I hugged Alice, "Thank you, for everything."

She giggled, "I'm glad," and left the room.