The Jester

"Go, my dear. You know I don't like to be kept waiting." The Godfather hovered in the door, watching the Consort ready. There was a stone in his stomach, but he knew he could risk it. The Consort was clever enough to run if needed. He just wanted to test his theory.

"Sir," the Consort started, but the Godfather shook his head.

"Be quiet, my dear."

"He's the... The... You said so yourself."

"You won't disobey, will you?" The Godfather eyed the smaller man. The Consort whimpered.

"No."

"That's what I thought." He turned away, casting a glance over his shoulder. "If you die, it is not in vain. I will have him hung tomorrow."

"Yes, sir," the Consort whispered. The Godfather nodded.

"Good boy."

With that, he left, returning to his room. He penned the Mafioso.

'Do not kill, my darling. I have a plan.'

---

This time, there were more.

There had only been one death the night before. Granted, two deaths wasn't much more than that, but it was enough to shake Seto.

"Hey, you alright?" Mitch was watching him with dark eyes. Slowly, Seto shook his head.

Thankfully, they hadn't brought the bodies out like Adam had warned they might. Even still, the dead air made Seto shiver.

"We'll be okay. Jason's looking through the notes now."

"Whatever you say," Seto mumbled as the cross-dressing 'escort' flounced down to the main circle, a death note and two wills in hand.

"Alrighty! So the dead are Vikky and Alex. Alex was scary - he was a Vampire." Jason eyed the town. Seto felt himself pale. Vampires? Are you fucking kidding me? "And Vikky was the Consort! Alex was killed by Jerome --" Jason paused to wave the will and death note. "-- and Vikky was stabbed by a serial killer. Shame."

"Who did Vik visit last?" Adam asked, lifting his head. Seto thought he saw Mitch stiffen.

"Hmm..." Jason squinted at the paper. "Mitchy!" His blue eyes flitted up.

Oh.

That would be why he's nervous.

"So you think I killed him?" Mitch asked, keeping his voice steady. Seto noticed a tad bit of disgust worming through. "He coulda been targeted. He was saying some dangerous things yesterday."

"There's that," a man named Quentin said, "and there's the fact that the mafia isn't killing anyone. Has an escort been blocking someone?"

"I have," Jason smiled. "I told you, I'm an escort. I've been blocking him." He pointed at Preston, who jolted up and stared.

"What?! I'm not the... I'm not mafia!"

"That's what they all say," Mitch joked, and Seto felt relieved that he was light on his feet again.

"I have been distracting you," the escort smiled, twirling a lock of his blonde hair on his finger. His eyes were still locked on Preston's. "Clearly you're the Mafioso or the Godfather."

"Mafioso," Rob reasoned. "There isn't necessarily a Godfather, plus, Godfathers don't typically like to kill."

"So hang him." Jason lifted his head, looking over the group. "You have my vote." His hand raised.

"Mine too," Brice muttered, just loud enough to be heard. His hand lifted.

Slowly, Rob, Mat, Lachlan, and Ty raised theirs. Just enough.

Seto felt sick as Preston was warped up to the stand. Yesterday, it had been Jerome, a man who could easily be labelled as clinically insane. There had been a death in his name today, too. What if Preston was able to do the same thing?

The screen popped up. Stepping away, Seto didn't let himself vote. He noticed that quite a few others were abstaining, too, so when the metallic voice rattled out that only three people voted (Brice and Rob guilty, Adam innocent), he wasn't surprised.

"Any last words?"

Preston looked around fearfully. "I'm sorry."

The noose snapped around his neck and the floor disappeared.

"Preston Arsement was the Arsonist."

Silence slid over the town. An Arsonist? That hadn't been the intent, but...

At least he was gone.

Right?

"You can relax, you know." Seto jumped, feeling himself bristle. Mitch was at his side, fingers brushing his wrist. "They can't hurt you here."

"Y-Yeah... I'm just scared," he admitted. Nervous eyes looked around the group. Jason, amidst his usual friends, was examining his nails. As Seto watched him, he drank in his outfit - a powder pink crop top with black leggings, a domino-like short skirt, and tall black heels. Vaguely, he caught himself wondering how he walked in them.

"Do you want me to stay with you tonight?" Mitch's voice was soft, as was his tough. Thin fingers had laced around Seto's wrist.

Cautiously, Seto thought about it. He had to tell someone else that Mitch was coming over, that way, if he died... But other than that, there was no downside. Besides, if Mitch wanted to kill him, he would have already.

"Please," Seto murmured, staring up at him with wide, scared eyes.

Mitch smiled.