Twenty Four

Grayson's grandmother, Chunhua, stood staring at her daughter and her daughter's husband. The two sat across from her in the living room, heads down as if ashamed. She spoke anyways,

"I do not care if the Malfoy family wants this. They should not have come near my granddaughter, and you should not have made this decision without me."

"We had no choice mother." Chan said. There was no arguing with her hard headed mother- they had put this conversation off for months now.

"There is always a choice! Do you know how many young boys are suitable for her in Japan? There are many I would have approved of, no doubt Gao would have liked one of them."

"But Gao likes Draco." Liu spoke,

"No, I will not believe that.. That family is wretched, Death Eaters! And you two want your daughter to be apart of that?!"

"Draco is not Lucius I'm sure that is not the case-"

"Like father like son. It has never been any different."

"Mother lets hold out, why don't you send her a letter and hear it from herself."

"I shall." this whole situation hit the grandmother horribly. The fact she hadn't heard of it any sooner was beyond her, her family was now keeping secrets. Something like that should not have been happening to her granddaughter, her parents were being foolish about this matter, "I'm shocked you two didn't stand up for her."

Chunhua came all the way to Great Britain just to have this conversation. Apart of her wanted to stop by Hogwarts, she knew Albus quite well, and see for herself. But she knew that wouldn't go over well.

"And might I also add how your daughter was almost killed because of this engagement!" knowing how to hit home with the two, sh watched the parents flinch. It would do for now.

Deciding that simply writing a letter would have to do also. And meeting with Lucius. This had to be his way of getting back at her for all those years ago.

***

Chunhua stood at the door of Malfoy Manor awaiting to be let it. Lucius came to the door himself, followed by his wife. He expected the elder women a lot sooner than this.

"I'm surprised I wasn't made aware of this."

"In all respect Chunhua, it's been half a year now. It's not our fault your own family didn't make you aware of the marriage."

"Your son is not marrying my granddaughter."

Narcissa stepped forwards politely interrupting, "If I may interject. From what I understand the two are very fond of each other."

"I don't care what Gao wants or if she likes your boy. She will not be a Malfoy."

Lucius gripped his cane, fists turning white. As much as he respected this family, he would not have his be offended. Reputation and blood are everything. Taking a deep breath he calmed himself down, "by our children marrying the bloodline stays pure." he hissed out.

"Of course that's important Lucius! But your son is blonde and white. Our cultures are different. We do not marry or date out of race." Chunhua was a stickler for that, she wasn't okay with biracial relationships whatsoever. Chan and Liu never should have left Japan in her mind.

Mrs. Malfoy knew this was not going to be pleasant. Months ago she tried to convince her husband out of it, their families never having gotten along well. She decided it would be best to intervene now before the wands broke out into any type of dual, "Dear, let's drop this topic now... I say, why don't we just talk with the kids. It's their happiness we're toying with not ours. What we want may not be important if they actually want to be together."

***

Grayson's mind was blank as she continued to read her grandmother's letter over and over, refusing to believe that it actually said. She felt anger rising up that she would try to stop her and Draco from being together. Everything was all sorted out now, preparations, it was going to be fine. Perhaps her and Draco still weren't on the best of terms but she still loved him. This was unbelievable.

She raced down the halls to one of the courtyards Draco and his friends always would hangout in. And surely enough there he was encircled by other Slytherin's..

At first he didn't notice her until Crabbe nudged him.

Holding out the letter he took it, then saying to those around him, "Everyone leave."

She stood frozen watching Draco as he read the letter. His face was stuck in a frown, but she couldn't quite tell what he was thinking. He didn't show any emotion or surprise on his face.

"Draco?"

"I'm not losing you." without any warning he ripped up the paper letting the pieces fall to the ground, "I almost did once and it's not happening again."

"I-I thought my parents had told her already and that it was under control..."

"She really hates my family."

"Yeah. I didn't know that."

He sighed running a hand through his hair, "she can't stop us from getting married."

"Of course she can't.. aw jeez listen to us we sound like immature kids going against their parents.."

"It's not our parents we're going against, they don't seem to care too much."

The two felt at a stand still. Their own lives were being controlled by adults- they were like puppets actually. Being tossed left and right expected to listen to whatever order was thrown at them. But then again, they were just kids. How could they know what was right for them at this age?

Draco took Grayson's hand into his and led her away from the courtyard. He walked her onto the grounds nearing the Black Lake. It made her nervous approaching the water but he stopped and took a seat on one of the stone stairs looking out. She did the same.

The engaged couple stayed silent. Grayson rested on his chest with his arms encircled around her. She could feel his chin on top of her head resting..

"Lets promise to stay together." his words surprised her a little. She could hear the sincerity and desperation in them.

"Okay."

"I'm serious Yang. You're the only person I've ever opened up to, let see a different side of me. I don't feel comfortable with anyone else like that- you've helped me feel alright. And I don't want that to change."

"I don't plan on going anywhere Malfoy."

"Promise?"

"Promise."