❶❺: a train's power

I'm hopeless, they shoulda' killed me as a baby.

[5:26 AM]

AROUND AN HOUR later, Lena was once again asleep on the opposite sofa. She instructed Pac to awake her at six, but he was asleep himself. After all that talk and no sleep in forty-eight hours, it was beginning to take a toll on his body.

Their middle-of-the-night nap didn't last long, Lena's cellular phone startles the two and she immediately figures it to be Anthony. Drawing her hand to the coffee table, she whines in annoyance. "What do you want?"

There's shuffling being heard, and then a whisper, "Lena? Lena, can you hear me?"

"..Who is this?" she furrows her eyebrows.

"It's Paige, Lena, it's Paige!" she's not whispering as much as before. "I-I can't do this anymore, my-"

Lena sits upright, "Hold on, what are you talking about? Where are you?"

"I'm at the police station!" she sobs, sniffling. "I d-don't know what to do anymore. L-Lena my grandma died about an hour ago."

Lena was absolutely speechless. Why was so much shit going on tonight? Paige continues, "Remember how I told you that story on that guy who was threatening me because I owed him money?"

"I thought I gave it to you!" Lena talks. "I gave you two hundred-"

"Well, I had to use it to pay r-rent-"

Lena already wants to tug at her hair, "Damn, Paige!"

"I'm sorry!" she cries out, trying to cover up her sounds. "I didn't want me and my grandma on the streets! I'm so sorry, okay?"

"What happened to her?" Lena temporarily dismisses it, "How did she-"

All that was heard were the semi-loud cries until Paige managed to pull herself together. "She was sniped around two. I don't know if they thought she was me, or if they did it just so I could suffer for-fucking-ever. All I-I know is that i-it's my fault! I s-stayed on the ground and called the ambulance and police, so right now I'm at the station because I have no way to get home and I don't want to go there, either."

Never being in this position before, Lena was unsure on what to say or do. "Uh, okay.. okay. Calm down. How long have you been at the police station?"

"About thirty minutes," she hiccups.

Lena throws the blanket off of her body, "You just stay there, here I come."

"What? No, no, you don't have to! I just called to say-"

"No excuses-" Lena completely trips over a stool, smacking her head on the floor, also hastily awakening Tupac. She groans, feeling for her leg and picks her cell phone up. "I'm on my way."

"Shit, you good?" Pac's husky, sleepy voice rings in the darkness. "Sound like a damn earthquake."

Blood was trickling down her arm slowly, but she brushed it off-didn't matter. "Light a candle. And.. get your jacket, I have to pick someone up."