Chapter Thirteen

It was still dark when Duncan parked his car. He walked to the door and tried to open it. She locked it. Slowly, he went around to the French doors. They were also locked but he knew the trick to opening them. He stared at the locks, placed his hand on the knob and gave a quick twist. The door opened before him. When he got inside, he saw Jennifer on the couch holding her stomach and shivering.

"Oh baby," he said softly. "What have I done to you?"

Her eyes cracked slightly. "Duncan, is that you?" she whispered.

"Yes. I'm here. Let's get you upstairs," he told her.

"I can't," she groaned. "Every time I move, I..."

"I'll carry you," he said.

"Don't be silly. I weigh too much for you to carry up the stairs."

"I'm stronger than I look," he said and lifted her into his arms.

The movement caused her head to spin. She tried to say something. It died in her throat. Her head pressed against Duncan's shoulder as the darkness surrounded her.

As he carried her up the stairs, he felt the heat seeping from her skin. He smelled the aroma of her recent feast. It was the same lingering smell that came from the body he concealed. Was it possible she had fed to early in her transformation? Was this life force fighting against the power he had given her? There was only one way to know for sure. If he could draw it from her, the change might be complete. His fear was she might despise him for the actions he was contemplating.

He placed her gently on the bed and untied her shoes. Even the muscles in her feet were tight so he massaged them. They relaxed and stretched in his hands. Her body shifted as he slid her trousers and shirt off. Sweat dotted her skin.

First he would try to cool her. A swift trip to the bathroom produced a few wet cloths and dry towels. The damp terry-cloth wiped away the moisture which crept onto her skin. Instead of cooling her, Duncan's gentle touch woke her with a building passion. She watched as he continued washing her. He didn't realize she was awake. He turned to place the towels on the night stand. She scooted closer to him. Slowly he thought about his next move and opened his shirt. It slipped off his shoulder. Jennifer reached up and pulled the band from his hair. It fell loose as she sat up and wrapped her arms around him.

"God you know how to make a girl feel better," she whispered in his ear.

"Oh Jen, this is my fault," he said not wanting her to see the tears in his eyes. "I've changed you."

"You certainly have. You've made me feel what I thought only happens in fairy tales. Now I know what love is," she said letting her lips press against his neck.

"You don't understand," he began. "I've..."

"Don't talk about it now," she said kneeling behind him on the bed. "Turn around and kiss me."

"Jen. I have to..." But as he turned she pulled him close and kissed him.

The heat of her passion ignited the flame within him. Within moments they were lost in each other. This time, however, Duncan became the aggressor and feasted on the overflowing energies of his lover.

Duncan held her as they lay together. His mind was torn by the knowledge of what he had done to her and how she might react to the truth. He looked at her as her hand slid around him. She snuggled against him and relished his warmth.

"Jennifer I have to tell you something," he began and closed his eyes. "When I told I changed you, I meant physically. You've become like me. Whenever you take another man into your bed, you'll kill him. You will do it because you have to. It's how we survive."