Chapter 3

Weeks past and Charlotte was working on her endless amount of makeup work. Typing on her computer she was writing an essay on a famous experiment and how it's results effected the time period.

She heard music outside and through her window, she saw people dancing in the lobby.

For what reason? Who knows.

"Do you want to dance then," Thomas' voice in her head said.

"Go away, I'm busy," she sighed while continuing the write her paper.

She quickly stopped then sighed.

"Thomas I know you're behind the door," she said out loud.

Their was no movement.

"Please can we just.....I don't know talk? Sit," she said towards the door.

The door moved slowly to see a familiar face. She smiled a little bit. But it soon faltered when she saw his frown.

"Look-"

"If this chat is going to include you being a smart arse and someone who wants sympathy-"

"Ouch that hurt," she joked, "right here," she pointed towards one of her legs.

"I'm not going to feel sorry for you," he said shaking his head, "even if you did get shot into a coma which led to you reteaching yourself to walk."

She laughed.

"Nope," he said popping the p, "not even a little bit," he said as he sat down on his chair, "We need to talk."

"Yup," she nodded seriously, "I'll start by saying I'm sorry. Since your my first and only best friend, you had the right to know that sooner or later I might....," she paused.

"Yeah," he nodded, "And thanks."

"For what?"

"For everything," he smirked.

"Their is a couple more things I feel like we should tell each other."

"Do you want to go first?"

"Fine," she sighed, "I was mute as a kid. Thanks to my wonderful and gracious blood relatives and siblings. Your turn."

"My Dad wanted me to continue his blackmailing spree. He gave me a file on everyone and everything. Your turn."

"What did you do with it?"

"Nope it's your turn."

"I have an addictive personality. Your turn."

"I lit the files on fire. Your turn."

"I.....," she paused, trying to think if this was the right time, "We've been through a lot as acquaintances to friends to now partners and....this may sound rash but....I-I love you."

He looked at her for a moment before carefully sitting himself on her hospital bed, careful not to squish or tangle any of the wires.

He held her face and laughed.

"I love you too. No need to be nervous. It's just me."

She put her hand on top of his and blushed.

"It's just you?! The mathematical genius who can do just about anything he can put his mind to? The person who decided to put up with a mess like me," she said looking down at her hospital gown.

He moved his hands to make her look at him.

"You. Are. Not. A. Mess. You are the smartest and scariest person I have ever met. Now comeon," he stood up letting go of her, offering his hand.

"Tom, I have to," she started gesturing towards her laptop.

"I'll help you with it later."

"But-"

"Charlotte Lise Holmes you are out of a coma and all you want to do is work?! Comeon!"

She rolled her eyes and gripped his hand hard to get up.

"Now come on. Carefully now," he said whispering as her bad leg shook a little.

He passed her a nearby cane.

"Here rely on this for a little bit."

She rolled her eyes again at the fact of how old she looked, from the cane to the knots in her messy hair.

When they finally went to the lobby, the music stopped and everyone left.

"Are you serious," she sighed in defeat.

"Now lemme take the cane."

"Wait what about my-"

"Dancing is about relying on each other, that's what my mum used to say."

"Your mum married a blackmailer."

"Yeah not sure if she's the most reliable source for good quotes."

She laughed while gripping on to his hands tighter since he put the cane on a nearby chair.

She slowly put her head on his shoulder as they swayed to nothing but Thomas' humming.

And as she closed her eyes, she hummed too.