Chapter 10

The Power of Love Ch. 10

Charlotte was playing in a private room at her university for the summer. She would go home, but it wasn't the quietest household to go to.

She clicked the button on her phone to play the piano accompaniment as she held her violin up.

She practiced over and over but still wasn't getting the fast part.

"Grow up," a voice in her mind palace said.

"Shut up," she said while playing.

"Grow up," it repeated as she messed up again.

"You're feet were sickled," another voice stated.

"Grow. Up," the voice from before stated.

She started pacing around trying to escape her mind palace and thoughts of doubt, until finally she sat on the ground, cradling her violin out of desperation.

Someone then knocked on the door quietly.

"Char? Charlotte?"

Tom then looked down to see Charlotte on the ground.

"Woah are you okay?"

"Oh yeah," she said with her eyes closed, "just in my mind castle," she lied.

"Uh okay."

After taking a deep breath she stood up and tried to play with the accompement again. As Tom watched, his eyebrows furrowed as she played, clearly trying to find something.

"You're rushing," he stated after a moment of silence after she finished, "You're rushing because you're nervous."

She stiffened.

"No No no no," he stated quickly shaking his head, "don't do that."

"What," she asked.

"That," he said doing a series of hand motions at her.

She rose an eyebrow.

"It's the thing you do when you don't want to be read."

"I have no clue of what you're talking about."

"Don't play stupid it doesn't suit you," he stated quickly, "anyway why are you nervous?"

"I'm-"

"No no no," he interrupted doing a series of hand motions again at her, "I already know what you're going to say. You're nervous don't deny it. Why though," he looked at her for a moment trying to read her trying to find something.

Ever since Charlotte Holmes taught Thomas how to deduce and "read," people, he's practiced constantly on random people. He would never be good as Charlotte, due to her years upon years of experience, but he was still good.

His eyes widened in realization.

"It's because you feel as though you have no support."

"I have support. Plenty of it."

"Last time," he began, ignoring her, "last time when you auditioned for uni, you were nervous but not this," he explained looking at her up and down.

"You're over analyzing Tom. I'm fine."

"I'm missing something.....," he muttered, "I just know."

"Tom stop. Just stop," she stated shaking her head, "you're-"

"Who talked to you last?"

"You."

He rolled his eyes, "I mean at the party smartarse."

"Mycroft."

"What did he say to you?"

"We talked about him changing as a person."

"And?"

"He told me I did a good job."

"And?"

She paused for a moment, "He told me to grow up."

His eyes widened.

"That's not it though."

Charlotte groaned.

"It's everything."

"I hope you're happy with what you're doing," she snapped, "all of this," she said motioning towards all of him.

"It's adding up," he whispered, "every insensitive thing they've ever said....because you remember....you always remember."

Charlotte said nothing for a moment.

"You're getting good at this."

He smiled for a moment until he saw her face. The face that said he was completely and utterly right.

"Do what you did last time," he advised, "use everything they ever said in your favor."

Her eyes widened.

"Use your emotions," he finished.

***

Who would think, someone so guarded in their emotions would have them spilled in front of an audience?

She didn't think she'd reveal them either. Not the first time, much less a second time.

But here she was, playing violin like her emotions controlled her every movement, like her feelings of anger, despair, confusion, and loneliness ran through her veins. Maybe they did.

There was a moment of silence as her bow remained in mid air, as though time was no longer relevant. She did not move, taking the silence, for it was silence for her and her music alone.

She finally put the instrument down, bowing as she did so.

The audience roared in applause as she left the stage, continuing on as Thomas went backstage to hug her. She slowly hugged him back, still stuck in the moment.

"You did great!"

"Thank you," she stated quietly, looking deep in thought.

"Come," he took her hand, "the shows over now, I want you to meet someone."

She took it carefully, going down the steps backstage with him, until she stopped, hearing a loud squeal.

"EEEE," an older woman hugged her tightly,  rocking back and forth. Charlotte stiffened, patting her lightly on the back, "you must be Charlotte," the woman let go, still holding her shoulders lightly, "I'm Beverly, but you can call me mum."

Thomas hurried to her, his face starting to match his ginger hair.

"MUM-"

"Hush darling, we both know this doesn't happen often. She's a keeper."

Beverly hugged her once again while Thomas laughed awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck. Charlotte, still stiff, gave a knowing look towards her boyfriend.

Beverly touched her face as she let go, patting her cheek, "We must have dinner together sometime. Thomas has told me all about you."

Charlotte had a hint of a smirk on her face, "Oh really?"

"Why of course! How often do you think he's had a-"

"MUM," Thomas grabbed her elbow, then laughed awkwardly, "we really should go. How about Sunday. You like Sunday brunches right?"

"Yes-"

The two women stared at each other for a moment, realizing they were interrupting each other. Beverly finally giggled.

"You're lovely. Sunday brunch it is then!"

She waved Charlotte off as she walked with her boyfriend, writing the date down in her phone.