25. Sound

The hospital room smelled like cleaning solution. The walls and floors were white and the lights made them seem whiter. The sound of walking and beeping made Clara nervous.

The mask on her face forced her to breath in some sort of medicine to help clear out her lungs and help them expand, but it wasn't her lungs that were the problem.

Dr. Vegora pulls the mask from her face as a nurse pushes a large machine into the room.

"I need you to take off your shirt for me, if thats alright," the doctor asks. Flints eyes shoot up and he grips the bar at the edge of the hospital bed.

Clara looks down at herself, wearing flints button up shirt. She began to un button the shirt much to Flint's dismay.

Dr. Vegora looks away for a moment, prepping the machine beside him. He puts blue liquid on an odd roundded edged handle and then turns to Clara's bare chest. He puts blue liquid under her left breast and begins to push the round edge along her skin. He pushes a little hard and suddenly the sound of thumping echos throughout the room.

"That is your heart..." Dr. Vegora says but trails on questionably. He listens for a moment then gives the nurse an odd look.

"Whats wrong" Flint says demanding an answer.

"Um...it doesn't sound...normal," the doctor says cuatiously.

"What do you mean?" Clara asks with worry.

"When you were younger, did you ever have your heart looked at?" He asks.

Clara thinks, the only time she had ever been to the doctor was when it was court ordered for when the incident happened two years ago.

"No, I have only been to a doctor once, two years ago," she explains. Flints eyes widen at how she had never been to the doctor.

"I saw that in your chart, but that was just for the court, right? To get evidence?" He asks cautiously. Flint's eyes widen more then turn confused. She nods.

"So you've never had a routine check up?" The doctor asks.

"No...my family was super religous," she says.

Flint feels the need to rip his hair out. The doctor puts back the handle by the machine and hands Clara a wet cleaning cloth for her chest.

"Well, it seems that you were born with an irregular heart beat. This isn't usually a problem unless prevoked by imense stress or overwhelming...excitement," he says then raises an eyebrow at Flint.

"So, I am going to be rather blunt here. You're heart needs to recover from this, meaning no sex, not for a while anyway... I'm gonna prescribe you some medicine to help but it isn't a cure. The only thing to help this is to try and relax for a few days. From now on, don't over do it in the bedroom and stay away from anything that could cause you unreasonable amount of stress. Since this is the first time, I'm gonna say its not severe but it can progress if prevoked," The doctor explains.

Flint wants to bang his hard against a wall. He feels at fault, he feels guilt and shame and feels worried all at the same time.

"But I can still have sex, right?" She asks.

"Yes, give it a week though," he says laughingly.

"If this happens again, come back to the hospital. This was a close call."

"How do I strengthen my heart, can I do something to help?"

"Relax, eat healthy, work out but not too much, sleep eight hours at least, don't stress over the little things, and don't have crazy sex that could give someone a heart attack," he explains.