Gaiden 20: Mana Control

*Takeshi*

"Alright, listen closely, or else you'll need to figure it out yourself, as I don't plan to repeat myself," Anis's father said as he stood in the center of the temple-like structure.

"Yes, sir!" Anis said, saluting him.

He narrowed his violet eyes at her. "Now isn't the time for funny business, kid."

Anis lowered her head. "I understand, sir."

Saffron turned his back to us. "Take a seat on the floor and close your eyes. Take a deep breath and try to feel the world around you. Not through your five senses but by using your innate sixth sense. Then you will see the force that binds us all together. The power that makes up everything in this universe."

Sixth sense, huh? Mama told me about it before. Okay, here goes nothing.

Anis and I sat cross-legged and closed our eyes.

Every time I used reincarnation attacks, I drew on the mana that had already been used, so if I used something like that, I could easily figure it out.

I took a deep breath and tugged at the various 'strings' around us. The literal fabric of space itself, or mana as we called it, in this world.

Gasps echoed around me. I opened my eyes and saw that they were all looking at me.

"I thought you were going to struggle with this," Saffron said, leering at me.

"He is my cousin Tuli's son," Anis's mom said, giggling.

"I don't get it. What did he do?" the older of Anis's sisters said.

Her mother patted her head. "You'll understand when you are able to see mana just what kind of feat he performed."

Saffron nodded. "This boy managed to draw it into himself."

I blinked. "I did?"

He gave me a look as if I had just asked, 'is the sky on a clear day blue?'.

"You didn't notice?"

I placed a hand on my chest. "Well, I did feel something warm. Like sunlight. Or moonlight."

Saffron closed his eyes. "That there is mana."

"Can y'all be quiet? I'm trying to figure this out!" Anis snapped as she opened her eyes.

I scooted away. "Sorry."

She sighed. "How did you manage to do it on your first try?"

"You have barely begun and are already complaining?" her dad asked as he opened his eyes. "Thought I had raised you better."

Anis averted her gaze. "Sorry. It's just... I feel like I keep being left behind."

I patted her shoulder. "I can give some tips! If ya want them, that is."

She flashed me a cute smile. "That would help! So, how do you do it?"

I averted my gaze. "You got to clear your mind and shut the world around you."

"Hmm? I see. All that talking did make it hard to sense anything. But how would I know when I'm doing it right?"

"You will know when you do," Saffron said. "Remember what Takeshi said about the feeling he got. You should sense something similar."

Anis nodded and fixed her posture. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. "Here I go again."

We watched in silence as she continued focusing, that was until she let out a gasp. "I see something. Or maybe she isn't the right word, as I can feel it. No, that's not like it either. It's difficult to describe..."