Chapter One

Two and a half years ago, somebody came into my life without warning and changed everything. As someone who really likes organisation and having set plans you would think that I would find an event such as this rather unsettling, but I didn’t. That rainy spring morning on my way onto a London Underground train would turn out to be the happiest day of my life. That day was when I met Tom.

Tom truly is an amazing man. He has those bright blue eyes that you could just stare into forever and the kind of smile that could melt anyone’s heart. And it did. He melted mine from the moment I saw him that day, in person. I say in person because I had actually seen him before, on television. Tom is an actor, and a very talented one at that.  I had seen so much of his work prior to our first encounter, and thought he was a very handsome man, but never did I think for one moment that my life would take the turn that it did.

 Let me tell you about that day. It was a Saturday, and I had woken up very early in my little one-bedroom apartment that I rented by myself. It was 6am and I was restless, so I decided to get myself up and moving straight away. I threw on my 'workout clothes', which consisted of a pair of old black running leggings, a faded grey sports bra, an oversized black t-shirt which tended to fall off my shoulder and my comfy sports trainers, and I walked down the stairs of my apartment block to head out for a run. I stepped outside into the dull morning light, and, with only the sounds of the birds and a few cars in the distance to be heard, I began to run steadily down my quiet street. I didn't run for too long that morning, as I was new to running and could only just about manage a twenty-minute run, so I ran ten minutes away and then turned around to begin the run back home.

Once home I showered and sat down to my breakfast of cinnamon porridge and Earl Grey tea in front of the TV. Television was truly rubbish that early in the morning. It wasn't much after 7am when I realised I had no plans for the day. As a primary school teacher who has only been in the job for seven months you would think that I would have marking to do or lessons to plan for, but I had done it all the night before, ready for the following week. I have no idea why but the thought of London suddenly popped into my head. I hadn't been to the capital for almost a year, even though I only lived about forty-five minutes away by train. So I made the decision to go into London for the day and do some shopping by myself. This was very unlike me as I like to plan things such as this at least a week in advance to make sure I fit everything else that I need to do in. However, I didn't have anything that I needed to do, so I chose to go against my usual ways, get myself ready and hop on a train.

 The train was very empty, being a Saturday morning there wasn’t any commuters travelling to work so I sat reading my very old copy of The Great Gatsby, for what was probably my seventh time of reading it, enjoying the silence as I read, apart from the gentle click-clack of the train and the voice of the driver over the speaker system every now and again, telling the passengers what the next stop would be.

 I went all the way to the end of the line, to London Liverpool Street, where I packed my book into my trusty old brown leather handbag and went to look at the tube map to decide where I was going to head to first. Oxford Street would have been the obvious choice, but I sometimes have these crazy moments and buy expensive items from shops like Selfridges that I really can’t afford on a primary school teacher’s wages.

 After staring at a tube map for ages I decided I would head to Covent Garden first, to look around a few of the shops. There is also the most wonderful little coffee shop nearby where I could sit and finish the chapter I was halfway through reading from the train journey. So I worked out the route I had to take on the underground and then headed towards the line I needed.

 I was hoping there would be a seat on the train so that I could maybe finish that chapter on the way. I walked down the steps towards the platform, getting my book out of my bag as I walked. This was a rather silly thing to do as I’m very clumsy, and I’m pretty surprised that I didn’t fall down the stairs whilst doing it. This time I was lucky.