Chapter Twenty Five

“Well,” said Tom breathlessly as he moved from above me to lie back on the bed next to me, “That was amazing.”

“You weren’t too bad yourself,” I smile, half-laughing between gasping for breath after our activities.

“And can I just say again how utterly fantastic you looked it your new underwear!”

“Thanks. I bought it for you.”

“I think it looked better on you than it would do on me!”

I laughed at his bad joke, adoring the massive smile that spread across his face as I did so.

“But honestly, you looked stunning.”

Tom leaned in to meet my lips once more as we lay tangled in the sheets.

“Anyway, we got so distracted after dinner... Tell me more about the audition and the role,” I say.

“It went really well. It’s a more low-key film than the ones I’ve been doing recently, which is nice. I’ll probably only need to film for about a week.”

“So, when do you start filming?”

“Quite soon, actually. They had everything ready but the guy who was doing this part dropped out last minute. They’re ready to start shooting in two weeks. Luckily that one is in Ireland, so not too far for too long.”

“Oh, wow, that is soon.”

“I know, but it slots in nicely before my next job in five weeks time.”

“What’s that?”

“Another film, but that one’s bigger. I’ll be in Boston for a while, maybe a month.”

“Sounds amazing,” I could hear the little hint of disappointment in my own voice.

 “You OK?”

“I’m fine.”

I knew he wasn’t buying it but I wasn’t going to say that I was sad that he was going away for so long so soon. But seriously, what could I do about it? I had no right to say anything about his job and his life as I knew what it would be like.

I found myself looking at the ceiling and fiddling with the corner of the bed sheet.

“Charlotte,” Tom interrupted my thoughts, “That’s kind of the reason I was saying you don’t need to look for a job. I wondered if you wanted to come along?”

This question completely broke my thought process from the moments before, but as soon as he said it I knew my response to this within a number of seconds.