Chapter 3

MERYLS POV.

I sat in the sitting room waiting for the person that Mamie was so excited to see, I still couldn't figure out who it was.... then I heard her voice 'Mamie! You're so grown up!' It was Amanda! What was she doing here?! I mean, we were suppose to be meeting at the airport on Thursday.. Something must have been wrong...

AMANDAS POV.

I was so nervous! How was I going to tell, or rather, ask Meryl if I could stay with her a while.. How could I tell her I had an argument with my boyfriend and now I'm homeless?! I didn't know how, but I knew I had to! 

As I walked in Meryl's face lit up. 'Amanda, Hi! What're you doing here?' I let out a huge sigh and Meryl's face turned to one of concern. 'Amanda, what's wrong? What's happened?' She put her arms around me and guided me over to the sofa. I tried, and failed, to fight back the tears. 'Me and Tom had a fight... and, because the house is in his name. Im homeless..' She kept her arm around me tightly, I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eye. 'Oh, Honey! Tell you what, you can stay here as long as you like! isn't that right Don?!' I was so relieved, on the inside. Why was Meryl so fricken nice!

'What? Oh, Yeah, of course! Stay as long as you need! It's not like we don't have the room' He chuckled. I half smiled. 'Now do you have any of your things? or do you want me to drive you back over there and we can get them together?' She asked, putting two of her fingers under-neath my chin and forcing me to look at her. I half smiled 'Could you drive me over there? I don't want to have to face him alone, I took a cab here. My car, clothes, everything are still there' I don't know why I was explaining to her, but I was. she just smiled at me and stood up.. 

'Well, what're we waiting for?' She started heading out the room.. 'Oh, And if he tries anything, i'll, personally beat him. Until he's begging you to make me stop' She cackled that signature laugh and it make me truly smile, for the first time in what felt like ages.. I giggled and got up to follow her 'Alright, if you say so' 

'Oh honey I do say so... I don't joke around with things like this. No one hurts my babies and gets away with it.. and you Amanda.. I consider you as my daughter so come on, lets go'

MERYLS POV. 

I grabbed my keys and headed out the door with Amanda following me. I jumped into the drivers seat and started the engine. 'So, what happened in this fight?' She smiled and didn't answer... 'Come on, I need to know so when I DO see him.. I can beat his ass and give him the right reasons why I'm doing it' I laughed again and it made Amanda smile more. 

'Well.. he uh.. He threw some... things.. at me. After we shouted and screamed at each other' I pulled over 'What kinda of... things, are we talking about?' She had my FULL attention now.. If he had hurt her in any way, I was going to do the same, except twice as hard. 'Amanda... He didn't hit you did he?!' If he did I wasn't going to hold back if I saw him.. I was furious now. It's NOT acceptable! 

'No, No, No! Well not exactly' I was confused. 'Not exactly? What do you mean not exactly, if he hit you, then he hit you. There's no mistaking it!' I was turning into the protective mother type now. I saw Amanda as a daughter and I wasn't prepared to let anything or anyone hurt her. 'No, Meryl, we both hit each other. It wasn't one sided.. It got pretty heated.. and.. that's how it ended up..' I kind of calmed down and carried on driving over to Amanda's.

We got there and I didn't move. 'Meryl? You coming inside with me?' I looked over.. 'I'm staying in the car. If I go inside and see him I won't be responsible for my actions. No matter how you have just explained it to me, I'm still annoyed about the whole situation. So, if you REALLY need me, give me a call and I'll come inside' I half smiled and Amanda smiled back. 'I understand. I won't be long!' 

I watched her head inside and sighed... Some people would say I was getting too old to be rushing around like this, and stressing out, but it was my duty to the people I cared about. Amanda had come to me for help. I couldn't have turned her away. 

It felt like I was sat in the car for what felt like forever, but eventually, Amanda came back out with her bags and things she needed. I instantly got out the car and grabbed some of the bags from her and put them into the boot and got back into the drivers seat. 

'So, was he there?' I asked her as I began to back out of the driveway. 'No.. No where in sight' That answer seemed very distant, but, I didn't question it. I carried on driving and she didn't say anything. I couldn't bear the silence, so I decided to break it. 'So, are you okay?' She looked over at me 'Yeah, Yeah.. Of course I am' I had to believe her, I didn't want her to feel like she was under interrogation...

After what felt like an eternity, we got back to my home. Got out the car and began to unload it and take the things inside. 'Meryl, you go inside, I don't want you to be doing any heavy lifting after what's happened' Don surprised me, it seemed he just snuck up on me.. 'I don't mind helping out' I looked over at him, still trying to get the things out the trunk of the car. 'Beautiful, please. I don't want you to strain yourself and risk something happening' He sounded genuinely concerned. Well... he would do. He was my husband after all. 'Alright, Okay' I held my hands up in defeat and headed inside to see what Amanda and Mamie were up to. 

Mamie laughed at me as I appeared in the doorway. 'Has dad gave you the orders again?' 'Afraid so' I half laughed 'He told me he doesn't want to risk anything happening, with whats happened and everything, so, I'm just going to sit here and watch you three do the hard work' I laughed as I sat on, then lay on the sofa and closed my eyes.