Questions

We arrived at the sandlot in a good five minutes. I followed Benny to the shady dugout and sat next to him on the shabby bench. It was quiet for a short period of time, until I broke the silence. "Do you ever get tired of this?" I asked, not really sure where the question came from.

He looked over to me and tilted his head, as if he didn't understand. "I mean, do you ever get tired of putting up with all these knuckleheads? Do you ever wanna do something else besides this?" I rephrased my question.

He bit his lip and thought for a moment. "I sometimes think about it," he started, "but this is what I love. Baseball is my passion and my hobby, and I never wanna give it up."

I smiled and nodded at his response. "Do you ever get tired of this?" he asked, turning my question around on me. "Not really, I enjoy playing ball with everyone. You guys are like my second family," I responded, earning a smile from the tan boy.

Benny sat up a little and grabbed a bat that was resting on the ground. "Wanna practice some swings?" He asked. "Yeah, sure," i responded, grabbing the ratty baseball we've been using.

Benny and I made our way out to the diamond. He tossed me the bat and I tossed him the ball. I got in position with the wooden bat ready to swing. Benny pitched the ball and I slammed the bat against it, sending the dirt covered ball across the field. "Damn!" Benny yelled as he watched it land right in front of the fence that separated the Beast from us.

I cheered for myself and gave Benny a high five, then running after the ball. I quickly snatched it up and ran back, stepping on the pitcher mound.

Benny grabbed the bat and got on home plate, positioning himself. I took a deep breath in and pitched the ball, almost immediately hearing the smack of leather on wood. I looked up, watching the ball soar in the air. "Jesus, Benny!" I cheered, watching him chase after the ball.

Once he returned, I gave him a grin and he threw his arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. "Today's game is gonna be a good one," he said, chuckling softly. "Where are the guys? They should be here by now," I mentioned, earning a shrug from Benny.

We sat down on the old bench in the dugout, talking for what seemed like forever as we waited for the guys. I sighed, "maybe they're not showing up today," I spoke, frowning softly.

"Well," he responded, "it can just be us today, I'd much rather have that." I blushed slightly after hearing what he said. "Honestly, I need a break from them anyways," I laughed.

Benny turned his head and looked at me, his expression soft. I was confused, I had rarely ever seen that expression on him. He moved closer to me, causing me to tense up a bit. I looked over to him again and bit my lip.

After a moment, it happened. He leaned over slowly, our shoulders touching. I began to lean in as well, not knowing what the hell I was doing. I froze as our lips were only inches away, not knowing if I should do it or not.

As I was deep in my thoughts, Benny pushed his lips against mine, startling me a bit. I blushed and closed my eyes, wondering why this moment felt so right.

It didn't last long, however.

"Oh my GOD," someone yelled from outside of the dugout. Both of us pulled away quickly as we saw the guys staring at us, wide eyed and open mouthed.