Fireworks

after benny and i finished our milkshakes, he offered to walk me home, which i accepted since we lived right next to each other. we walked, silently watching the sunset as we did so. after about a minute, i felt his hand gently grab mine, causing me to smile.

after awhile, we ended up at my house, the sun almost completely set. "see you tomorrow," i spoke softly with a content smile. as i began to turn, i felt him pull me back in front of him, followed by his lips on mine.

my eyes widened slightly before closing as i placed a hand on his cheek. we both smiled softly after we parted from the kiss. "goodnight," he spoke quietly, rustling my hair playfully and jogging away, knowing i'd start yelling at him for messing up my hair had he stayed any longer.

i stood there for a moment, watching as he made his way back to his house. i smiled before turning around and heading up to my front door, eager to get inside and out of the chilly air.

i went to bed with a smile, replaying the whole day in my head over and over until i finally drifted off to sleep.

the next morning came quickly, which was frankly a good thing. it was the fourth of july, the best day of the summer, and also the only time during the summer that we play a night game. the town was already lively at nine in the morning, giving me an extra boost of energy as i made my way to the sandlot.

the guys were already under the dugout, hanging around. "hey," i greeted as i neared the guys. they all began to base up after a few minutes of chatting, benny running up to home plate while grabbing his bat.

i took my place in the outfield, placing my hands on my knees as i watched kenny wind up his arm. he was about to throw a Heater, and god knows that ball is gonna go straight to the Beast. nonetheless, i watched as kenny pitched the ball at high speed straight to benny. the crack of the bat hitting the ball was almost deafening; i shaded my eyes as i looked up, watching the ball soar over our heads and straight into the Beast's territory.

we all cheered for him, running up to the pitching mound as he dropped his bat. we were all ecstatic (as we usually were after he would hit a grand slam like that), but benny seemed almost disgusted. "benny, that was incredible," he spoke, looking up to him.

he gave me a small shrug, looking down. "yeah, but now we can't play. i just wasted a perfectly good ball in the first ten minutes," he spoke flatly. "don't worry about it, that was an amazing hit," squints piped up with a nod. the other's nodded in agreement, but that didn't change benny's mind.

he always felt bad whenever he would hit a ball over the fence, no matter how many times we tell him it was totally worth it to see an awesome hit. "i'll see you guys tonight," he spoke up, turning on his heel and making his way off of the sandlot.

the guys looked at each other with puzzled expressions, confused since benny never walked off the field like that. "i'll talk to him," i nodded, leaving the guys behind as i jogged to catch up to benny.

"you know you didn't ruin anything, right?" i spoke softly, placing my hand on his shoulder for comfort. "yeah, but i get bummed out when i can't play. i don't have anything else to do, really," he replied, his eyes focused on the ground as we walked.

"let's go downtown, there's already stuff going on for fourth of july," i suggested, causing him to look up at me. he nodded with a soft smile, taking my hand as we made our way to the center of the small town.

"they sure decorated fast," i noted as we arrived, seeing all the buildings and street lamps decked out in red white and blue. he laughed and nodded, looking around.

"have you had breakfast yet?" i asked, earning a 'no' from benny. i tugged him toward a small diner, smiling. "breakfast is on me then, don't argue," i spoke with a laugh before he could say anything.

A/N
(there will be a part two to this chapter)
hey guys!! it's been wayyy too long, i know. i'm gonna start updating this story again since i recently rewatched the sandlot last weekend and fell in love with it all over again. also, i reread all my old chapters and good god, i sucked at writing. keep in mind i started this story four years ago, which means i was roughly 12-13. thats so crazy to think about, considering i'm almost 17 now. anyways! my writing has improved greatly and i'm excited to continue this story with quality chapters! thanks for sticking around so long, it means the world to me.