Changes

What I saw in the driveway of my house made my stomach jump into my throat. There was a police car.

I ran inside to see some officers using my phone. They turned toward me and one got up. "Are you Katie?" He asked. I gulped. "Yes," I responded. He sighed. "Your mother got in a severe car accident. She's in the hospital right now." I didn't bother crying or anything.

"Oh," I said. I turned around and went out the door again. I ran up to Benny's door and pounded on it. He opened the door quickly. "Katie, what's u-" I didn't let him finish. "My mom's possibly dying," I said quickly. He lowered his head. "I'm sorry," he said. "Don't be," I responded. He looked up confused. "It's her fault. She doesn't leave to go home after work. She goes out and drinks at a bar. I saw her come home drunk too many times. She was drunk driving. Serves her right," I said coldly, but my voice started to shake.

My mom and I never had a real relationship, just "Hi, bye, love you, goodnight." Ever since my dad had died, she was so distant, like she didn't care about me.

I snapped out of it when Benny started to talk. "You don't mean that, do you? Come on, she's your mom," he said. I shook my head. "She deserved it," I snapped back.
He put his hand on my shoulder. "Wanna take a walk? We can talk about this," he said calmly. I nodded.

We walked around for a while. "This might seem personal, and you don't have to answer, but, how did your dad die?" Benny asked me. I sighed and started to tell the story. "He was a pilot for the U.S. Airforce. Got shot down over the ocean. The end," I said quickly and sadly. "He was the only one who actually listened to me.." I said a little quieter.

Benny sighed. "I listen to you," he said. "I know, but it's different," I sighed. He put his arm around me gently and a tear rolled down my face. I quickly wiped it away and kept walking with him.