COMING SOON

Ciao again!! (This is the most I've updated in a while, albeit two posts xD)

This is basically a little note that may be helpful to read before starting the short story that will be put up on Wednesday (hopefully) this week. This might be confusing but it'll help grasp the basic parts of my story.

~O~O~

CONTEXT: The beginning of WW2 saw Hispanics enter America to fill vacant jobs in both manufacturing and agriculture. However, after the War, Hispanics suffered from extreme racism. They were thought to be "stealing jobs" and be the centre of numerous criminal activities. In this period all Hispanics were thought to be low-lives living illegally in America. In the late 1940s, Hispanics began to be kicked out of there homes unless they could show legitimate legal papers that they could live in the States. Sometimes, when police were eager to spill blood, these families were abused even if they had the rights to live there. Hispanics were arrested, beaten or, in the extreme, murdered for crimes (sometimes falsely accused) such as living illegally, partaking in crime, or harassing American citizens. 

  SETTING: Alcatraz, late 1940s.  

PROTAGONIST: Juan. Juan is a Hispanic (Mexican) living in San Francisco when his family is abused by the police and told to leave the country. He is left traumatised by the cruelty of the police and escapes alone from his house.  From the abusive event, Juan suffers from Post-traumatic stress disorder which causes a lack of emotions in him and puts him in a state of constant fear and sadness. After being caught by the police years after the event, Juan is sent to Alcatraz (where the story begins) and learns the struggle of trying to remain human while the world and people around him dehumanize.

CLIMAX: Juan is sent to "The Hole" which is solitary confinement at its worst where he is left purely with his thoughts and abusive guards. 

THEMES: racism and dehumanisation.

CONCEPT: A person can become oppressed to the extent that they themselves become the oppressor. This is a process of dehumanisation. 

~O~O~

I think that's the basics of my story. I don't think I'll say what my metaphors are because I'd like people to try and understand them before I actually tell them - as I will be needing to know what you guys - the audience - draw from my story.

Finger crossed the first 1500 words will be up on Wednesday :D

Thanks everyone who has volunteered to read it! I'm very grateful and excited to share my work!

~Softie out!