3 : Pain Of Love

"Arnav-ji, please." Khushi pleaded like she's been pleading from the past week. Not even she is able to get me to act normal.

"You know, Khushi," was all I said, even though she is still clueless. Handing over my bag and coat to her, I dropped a peck on her forehead and taking her into my arms for a minute to inhale her familiar scent, to feel her against me, I turned around leaving her there.

"Can I come?" she asked, making me stop in my tracks. I've been doing this for a week and never had Khushi requested to accompany. But then, I don't want her to come with me too. What would she do in my car while I'll be driving through dark and deserted places? Worry more and worry me after?

"You stay!" I said again turning around.

"Please," I closed my eyes at her pleading quivering voice. As much as I act normal, I'm angry with her too. And only that anger saved me this time.

"No, Khushi. Mehmaan aaye hue hain ghar mein. You should take care of them. What would they think if we go out and enjoy when they're at home?" (No, Khushi. There are guests are home. You should take care of them. What would they think if we go out and enjoy when they're at home?) I replied mockingly throwing back her own words. I left from there on quick steps.

I didn't turn around to see her. The moistness in her eyes are my undoing anytime. As I was near her, I know she was barely containing her tears. If I look behind at her then I wouldn't be able to go out. Not even if I'm angry at her.

I'm sorry, Khushi. You aren't anything to blame. If anything then I am to be blamed. Now I understand what hurt I've inflicted on you then. I'm so sorry, sweetheart! But I cannot act as unaffected as you've done, Khushi. And showing anger is the only way I know.

~

I got back home at around ten O clock when I'm sure that everybody at home are locked away in their rooms getting ready to sleep. Only those two members are keeping me away from my family, I grit my teeth in frustration.

If that day hadn't happened then I would never have been doing this. Particularly keeping away from home, not spending time with my family, only because of that day.

Khushi silently kept the food before me and sat having hers beside me. I quietly completed my food and made my way back to room without a word. Even Khushi got used to it by now.

What the hell does this Sheetal want from here?

I lied down on the bed my gaze unwavering on the ceiling above me. I closed my eyes thinking about the way Khushi hurt me, or more about how did I hurt her in the past. How can she be so naive, so innocent and so forgiving? And why does it have to be annoyingly so? Urrgghh! Khushi...

That day's events ran behind my closed eyes. Maybe after few days this incident would feel silly, but for now, it is not. Because it caused pain more than anyone can expect.

What did I even think while I sat down with my family in the presence of those two people? The very same people who could do nothing but make me more suspicious about them.

~

"Sheetal-ji, take the tea." I saw Khushi handing over everyone's beverages when I stepped inside the house after work.

"Arey Chotte, you have come home soon. Come and sit with us," Nani smiled and I sat beside Di who smiled at me sipping her tea.