XIII

XIII

10 months later

It was finally June. School had been out for a month, and it honestly couldn't have come any sooner. Graduation was great and I was just happy to be out of high school.

Our year was bleak and not entertaining. Olive and I sat by ourselves every day at lunch and we became really close. We definitely bonded over our similar hatred to the vile boy Caleb Garrett.

He had finally made some friends by the end of the year, and I was happy for him. I had moved on.

--

One night in the middle of June, it was storming really bad. I had had a particularly bad night, and I was still frustrated over the fact that none of my memory had come back. Everything was still the same in that aspect.

I started to worry that it would never come back.

I pounded my hands on the desk and cried, very frustrated with myself.

And then I heard a slight tap on my window.

I turned my tear stained face and saw that it was Caleb.

He was getting rained on, so I quickly opened my window and let him in.

It was then that I saw he was crying too.

"Oh Caleb, what is it?" I asked softly.

I was really surprised that he showed up. He must have climbed the trellis right underneath my window.

"I'm so sorry," he said, quietly.

"It's okay. Do you want to talk about it?"

He just nodded his head and sat on the floor. And I didn't even care that he was getting it wet.

"I need to tell you that the reason I was so rude to you the first day I met you was because it is very painful for me to talk about where I used to live. My mother and I moved here to get away from my father. He was a terrible alcoholic, and he treated my mother horribly."

I held my breath and he paused.

"And then, I saw you and you were so beautiful. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen. And kind too. You were fighting your own demons, and still are. I wanted to get close to you and I didn't know how. I didn't want to hurt you. So I kept pushing you away, which ultimately hurt you. I was just so scared that I would be like my father."

And then he cried.

I reached out and wiped away his tears. I took his face in my hands.

"Look at me," I said, "You are not your father. You will never be your father. You are a kind person and I believe you are. You just have to let people in Caleb. They will help you, don't push them away."

He just looked at me and smiled sadly.

"Okay," he said.

"Okay," I replied.

And then he took me in his arms and hugged me.

"You aren't mad at me?" He asked, "I shouldn't have kicked you out of my room that day. I still regret it."

"It's okay. I'm not mad anymore. At least I understand now."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

--

It was still storming so badly, and I wouldn't let Caleb out of the house.

It just so happened that my parents were at a party, and my brother was at his girlfriends. Knowing my luck, he would start to climb out the window and someone would drive up and see him. Plus he could fall. It was just too risky.

So beyond my better judgment, I let him stay the night.

"Where am I going to sleep?" He asked.

"I honestly don't know. You can't leave this room or someone will find out, and I don't have any extra blankets so you can't just sleep on the floor."

"We could just share the bed..." he trailed off with a small smile.

"I don't know," I said with a frown.

"Oh come on, I'll stay on my half you'll stay on yours," he replied in a whiny tone.

"Are you just looking to get me in bed?" I said with a laugh.

"I sure am," he replied back with another laugh.

I just shook my head and grabbed some clothes out of my drawer.

I walked into the bathroom, and showered and brushed my teeth. Then I put on my clothes and walked out.

"Wow," I heard him say in a low voice.

I did look good, maybe a little on purpose. I was wearing short tight purple shorts, and a t-shirt that rode up higher on my stomach. My normal sleeping attire, but tonight Caleb seemed to be more interested.

He then went into my bathroom and came out a few minutes later wearing just his boxers and no shirt, hair messy in a sexy way.

"This bother you," he asked as he pointed to his jeans.

I just swallowed hard and shook my head.

"I wouldn't expect you to sleep in jeans anyways, they are very uncomfortable."

He just nodded his head and crawled into the left side of the bed.

I got in on my side, keeping our respective distance, which was hard considering I had a double bed.

I turned out the lights and turned my face towards him, feeling his shallow exhales brush against my face.

"Why were you crying when I came in," he asked.

"Oh. It's no big deal," I replied quietly, turning to move over, but he reached his arm out and stopped me.

"Please, tell me," he said in a desperate tone.

"Fine. It was because I was frustrated with the fact that I still have no memory, and I probably won't ever again."

"Oh Monica," he said softly as I began to choke up and cry again.

"Come here," he said still in the same tone.

I scooted over into his open arms and let him hug me, instantly calming me down. I made no effort to move and neither did he.

I felt a small kiss on my forehead, and the last thing I remember is falling asleep in his arms.