Lefou and the Cast

Here's a bit more on the up-coming movie. I'm going to see it with my dad in the holidays.

In the weekend I was with my mum, and we were at Wagamama's, a Japanese restaurant. So, she was researching the movie, and then out of the blue, said that there was a lot of kerfuffle over a gay character. I begged her to look into it more, and had my fingers crossed so tightly they almost broke. Oh, PLEASE let it be Lefou. Dear god, PLEASE! 

It turned out to be Lefou. Needless to say, I flipped my sh*t. 

I was so excited! Finally, my favourite gay Disney OTP is coming true! Lefou and Gaston, together at last! 

Eventually me and mum went home, I researched it some more; there was no gay moment.

TWO SECONDS OF LEFOU DANCING WITH SOME STRANGE MAN!!

Honestly, how great would it have been, if the ending to Beauty and the Beast was Gaston just breaking down crying. How he's gay and didn't know what else to do? And then Belle and the Beast still say they love each other, they'd get their happy ending, and Gaston and Lefou could be seen dancing together at the wedding. There. Done. I just saved the internet hours and hours of their time.

But, alas, people seem to forget the most obvious thing:

Anyone ever notice how in the original, there was WAAY more gay-ness than the new one, and nobody ever said anything?

He, he, he. They danced together, pretended to walk down the aisle together. And let's not forget the infamous "No-one's big like Gaston" line. If they leave that out of the new movie I will be so mad. (Madder, anyway). 

I must also mention that I haven't yet actually seen the new movie. But, there was a comment made about what I thought about the new actors, so here goes:

Emma Watson can't sing. At all. And like it or not, she can't act either. The only reason people like her is because we grew up with her as Hermione, a well-loved and feminist character. So we gave all of that love to Emma.

Josh Gad isn't the worst person to play Lefou, but I don't think they got the body quite right. Lefou's shortness is supposed to highlight Gaston's *ahem* "big-ness". Ha.

Whats-his-face as Gaston? Now, i'm biased because I adore the original Gaston. And nobody can really play him because he's a caricature. They'd have to get an actual wrestler or body guard to play him, and that wouldn't be right. I'm also mad that they got the voice wrong. Gaston had a great, baritone voice, that fit in with his stereotype of being the 'perfect man'. Gaston is how the media thinks men should be like; big, loud, muscly brutes with no respect for women and loved by all. No. That is not, so. But, I've said it before and i'll say it again, Hugh Jackman is best Gaston.

Then again, Hugh Jackman is the theatre god, so what can I expect?