LOVE IN THE MOONLIGHT

Luthien and Beren, Raen thought as she walked behind Curumir, how a coincidence. The day had dusked and the band is finally entering the King's palace. After finding the mummers, People of the Ents they call themselves, Raen did not had a hard time gaining employment. She had the face fitted for Luthien and talent for dancing (which she didn't realize she had until today), Curumir did not had any second thoughts accepting her, not that he was hopeless in finding a suitable actor but because she was perfect for the show.

Galdohir could have said no when he was asked to take part as Luthien's father , as King Thingol, for he longed to hear Raen call him such even it was just an act. And Galu found his place in the show too, for though his fur was black Men have forgotten the likeness of Huan - the Hound of Valinor. There were twenty and seven to do the an act Curumir entitled Love in the Moonlight, and it was the story of Luthien whom Beren called Tinuviel and their peril brought by forbidden love and treachery.

'That dress suits you,' Galdohir said walking beside her. His black hair streamed down beneath a silvery Elvish circlet, well-combed and long he looked noble and kingly. His blue and silver mantle matches Raen's Elvish dress save that it was darker like the deep blue sea. And she was an image of a fair Elven princess even without her golden circlet round her forehead.

'Do not flatter me Elf, I feel terrible in this dress. Much less happy to know I am to hold hands with that mongrel,' she said under her breath as she points to the man before her. She dislikes the man who bear Beren's name, for he was so unlike the Beren she knew and would bring even more injustice to Beren of Old. 'Look at him, they could have hired someone taller.'

Galdohir cast a wide smile despite of all his efforts not to. How he loved to tell his daughter she had her mother's wits and how she looks when her heart is clouded with scorn. Yet he could not, not that he lack courage or restrained by guilt, Galdohir did not want the past to haunt her again. There he threw his eyes far ahead and saw a few guards waiting for them.

At the king's hall the East part was a five feet dais shapen like a half moon, with unlit candles tracing the edges and floor was decored lavishly. The large stage was divided into five, the farthest by the left end had a background of a beautiful forest and a stream painted on a tall wall.

There lay tall grass by the floor and flowers of yellow and white. Next was an image of an hall where a white throne sat at the middle, the center was a dungeon dark and terrible as the next side which was decored to the likeness of Mandos and the halls of the dead. The other end though was simple house by a stream, with a wooden bench by the blossoming garden.

At half past six after dusk the crowd slowly filled the space before the stage, the King and Queen having the best seats and gathered round them, Eldarion the Prince, the nobles of the citadel, Faramir and his family, the Lords and Ladies of East Gondor and even the Elves of the South. All was set and waiting and many were impatient but excited.

At last the band has arrived by the back stage and Curumir led the cast to a room. Everyone was busy preparing, putting costumes and painting faces. Raen sat in front of a looking glass as two women decorated her head, pinning golden flowers and combing her hair.

'Don't forget your queue Raen, I have bet my life for this show. Should this act displeases the King and Queen I couldn't guarantee employment for my actors for a year, or worse forever. Is that understood?' Curumir said anxiously.

'I know. I have mastered my steps, four days was long enough. I will not tripple,' Raen smiled. Silver dust scattered round the side of her eyes faking starlight in her face. And when Curumir turned his back, Galu and Galdohir joined her.

Meanwhile, as the night drew deep Beren heard the music playing from above. He yanked the lock hoping the Elf would make good of his promise, for hope was slowly fading in his heart as time passes by. But little did he know another guest was on the way and he did not think it would be...