SPRING TIME

That night Raen woke up to the sound of soft footsteps outside her room. She turned, facing the door with half opened eyes. This is very late, she thought, or early morning by the cold in her skin. And though she has too many troubles to think of, she was at peace. For so many years she felt at home at the very unlikely place.

Before she could close her eyes she heard it again, as if someone was walking to and fro. This time she thought of Legolas, the poor elf must be lingering outside.

Raen sat lazily, tucking her hair behind her shoulders she quietly made for the door. Suddenly she was wide awake by the thoughts of him. But when she opened the door there was noone, only the shadows of lanters hanging on the ceiling. She waited for a moment, hoping for Legolas to pop out from any corner.

There was none.

She decided to walk out of her room and down she saw someone hurrying down the stairs.

'Legolas!' she called. She was running before she could say anything.

Legolas paused halfway and gave her gentle smile, inviting her to follow him

Legolas paused halfway and gave her gentle smile, inviting her to follow him. He need not say anything, Raen was on her feet, running.

She followed him, every twist and turns until she thudded down the forest floor.

'Why did you do that?' she said panting.

'Did what?'

'Making me chase you.'

'I did not tell you to do so.'

'You are running.'

'You could walk.'

'I was afraid you would leave me behind.' she retorted.

Legolas turned to her, with heart racing just as fast as hers he pulled her hand. There was joy in his eyes, the kind that gives him soft trembles as he stares at her worried eyes. 'I will never leave you behind,' he said.

Off they went. Hand in hand, through the forest and downhill but walking this time. Legolas would tell a story of how he picked berries himself and tried cooking mushroom soup. It was easy to cut an orc in battle than cutting an onion without crying, he said, and Raen laughed heartily saying he wasn't cutting it right and that she will teach him how.

'Beren once told me most grogs have worms and so I never tasted one. Can you believe it? Worms get drunk!'

'Beren?' his smile fading.