UNSETTLED HEART

'Ernil Legolas!' Amaliel called upon approaching his lord by the haulers. Legolas paid a look then letting go of Raen's hand he walked back to meet him.

It wasn't long since the sun had awaken, and the air had gotten still and cold.

'Ernil, there is trouble by the east house, the watermill is broken. Please, you have to come with me."

'How did that happen overnight? It was working just fine yesterday.'

'You have to see it for yourself my lord.'

'Raen, come.' He looked back over his shoulders. There was his sun resting in her eyes, and he has gotten too cold he needed her warmth all the time.

'Must I come?' she grinned. 'If you keep me by your side so often I might think that's too much of hospitality.'

'You are clearly not just an ordinary guest.'

All the stares and the smile they were trying to hide, it was as clear as the sun. Alas,  Raen gathered her wits.

'You should go, I needed to change,' Raen's face was empty yet she smiled to say she will be fine on her own. 'I shall wait for you in my room.'

Legolas walked back, cupping her face he tap a kiss on her forehead. 'I will not be long.'

Raen watched him walk away until he was far from sight, she hoisted herself up, standing on the plank of wood she rose slowly but steady.

From above watched King Thranduil who have witnessed it all. His face grim. And when Raen stepped into the entry he greeted her with a scornful stare.

'He is very fond of you,' he said. His both hands tucked behind his back, his grey mantle sweeped the wooden floor. 'Time changed the way you look, yet I could still smell the same girl in you.'

Raen bowed low. Her rebelious mind would ignor but her heart says she should pay respect to the father of the elf she loves, just as Legolas would want her to. Still, she kept her thoughts to herself and walked on without lifting her eyes to him.

King Thranduil followed.

'I see you have grown respectful overnight. Legolas must have hidden tricks in his sleeves. What did he tell you?'

Raen felt the need to pause for a response. She cast her eyes to the level of his shoulders with both hands tucked by her side. 'Nothing my Lord. Legolas walked me around to prove his forest is young,  indeed it is. I am clearly at fault the last time, please understand my ignorance.'

She stood there unmoving for a while until the King lifted her chin with his thumb, forcing her eyes to look at his. And when her eyes met his, the boughs stop swaying and the wind was still. Something whispered faint cries to her ears, one and a thousands more she heard a roar. Quickly, she pulled away and stumbled to the floor, breathing sharply as she pressed her heart with her hand.

'What did you do?' Raen panted.

King Thranduil stepped closer to offer his hand. 'I looked into your eyes, that's what I did.   Are mine fierce enough to cut you like this? '

Raen stood without reaching out for his hand,  there was a sudden shift in the air and cold crept all over her skin. The drumming in her chest was wild and loud. This elflord clearly hates me,  she thought, but she didn't had the courage to speak her mind. Slowly,  she walked past the King with eyes low.

'He will fail you!' the King said. 'Like he once did. Don't put your faith at the wrong place again child, that love for him will bring you vain."

She paused.

'Did you hear it?  The screams? King Thranduil followed her steps until he was standing behind. 'Echos of the past,  don't you want to know Safirah?'

'You speak of strange things my lord, I may have lost my memories, I know that now, but they linger to me.'

'I don't think that is all true.'

Raen left as if his words were passing wind, all bad things sprouts from jealous lips.

'Time will come and you'll have to make a choice. The trees will die and the flowers wither, just as the season changes all must end.'