Ripped jeans and band tees

As Alex scurried through the vast crowds of chattering teenagers she noticed Hank stood alone as usual. She adjusted the straps of her bag, pushing her way towards him.

"Hey." She smiled as She lent up the lockers, exhausted already.
"Hello," Hank closed his locker quickly, "are you ready for the Biology test?"

Alex's eyes widened, making it obvious to her friend that she had forgotten.

"Don't worry. I'm sure it'll be fine." He sniggered slightly as he began to walk beside her.

Since school began neither of the two had been extremely popular, surviving within the endless torture solely due to the other. Hank had always been the smart one, the over-achiever. Alex, however was unable to find her her strong suit and in situations such as this one, which happened regularly, she'd usually wing it.

The two filed into the classroom along with everyone else, taking their assigned seats at the back of the class.

As Alex sat down she noticed someone sat beside her she'd never seen before. She shot Hank a confused expression and continued taking out her books.

"I'm Maggie." A voice suddenly spoke up, Alex turning her attention toward it immediately to see the girl with her arm outstretched.
"I'm Alex." She replied, cautiously taking the girls hand within her own.

Maggie seemed strikingly confident considering she was so obviously new to the school. Unlike other students in her situation, she had decided that rather than blend in, she would beam.
Her hair was extremely long and luscious, every subtle curl placed perfectly on her head complimenting her dark skin perfectly. She wore a small leather jacket with a band tee beneath. One leg rested upon the table revealed the rips in either knee of her jeans.

She seemed to be the polar opposite of Alex.

"You're new?" Alex blurted out, realising she had been silent for an uncomfortable amount of time.

"Yeah, first day. Fun." Maggie rummaged through her bag to reveal her textbook and what seemed to be a notebook.
"Where are you from?" Hank joined the conversation quickly.

Maggie hesitated as she threw her bag into the floor, "my family is originally from here but we moved a few years ago and now we're back."

Alex and Hank nodded, the both of them glancing at the other and back at Maggie. Maggie however seemed particularly interesting in Alex, her eyes scanning the girl sat beside her repeatedly.

The class began to simmer down as the teacher spoke surprisingly softly, noticing Maggie immediately.
"Would you please remove your leg from your desk, Miss...?" The old woman hesitated as she ushered Maggie to remove her leg.
"Maggie Sawyer." She smiled, the small wrinkles around her eyes becoming more prominent as her cheeks rose.

"Well I don't think it would be completely fair to give Miss Sawyer here a test on her first day," the teacher looked at the worried faces of the students, "the biology test will take place this time next week."

Students began whispering, none of them having studied in the first place. A few people looked back at Maggie with a smile.

"Luckily you arrived today, huh?" Alex whispered, looking over to Maggie before returning her focus to the teacher.

"Your welcome." Maggie laughed, placing her head in her hands as she looked over at Alex.
Alex noticed this prolonged look immediately, beginning to blush. She wasn't uncomfortable which was a surprise.

"What're you doing at lunch?" Alex turned her head, propping it in one hand.

"Eating...?"

"Would you like to eat with us?" She smiled, looking over at Hank for approval.
"Sure. It's not like I've got a line of people wanting to hang out with me. Thanks."

Alex returned her focus on the lesson and what the teacher was talking about, being surprisingly calm for saying she'd just asked a stranger to join her and Hank.

As the class cane to end both Maggie and Alex filed out of the classroom in the same fashion they had entered and said their goodbyes until lunch.
Hank, walking beside Alex as usual, nudged his arm into her side.

"What?" Alex looked shockingly at the friend as they reached their lockers.

"She seems nice." He shrugged.

"Yeah..." Alex trailed off as she watched Maggie strut past the two of them.