Bullet in the back

Maggie ran silently across the empty parking lot towards the building. The sky was black and the compound was now abandoned.

Her steps were rushed and uneven as she sprinted, gun in hand. She didn't know what would happen when she reached Alex and she didn't want to think about it. She just wanted to get to her girlfriend and ensure her safety.

"Maggie!" Alex yelled, Maggie instantly turning quickly towards the sound of her voice.
Maggie turned around just in time to see Alex hit the concrete, her gun thrown across the floor in front of her.

Her breathing heavy, Maggie ran towards Alex with her gun still raised.
She looked across at the man stood before her, shooting aimlessly multiple times until he'd disappeared.

"Alex! Hey hey!" She grabbed Alex's hand, lifting her up onto her lap, "hey stay with me okay? It's gonna be fine."
Maggie dropped her gun, her hand now stained red as she rummaged for her phone.

"Danvers is down. We need an ambulance now." She yelled down the speaker before dropping the phone and turning to Alex.

Alex's eyes flickered open slightly as she lay, arms and legs sprawled out against the concrete. Her breathing had become flustered and her face as red as the blood she was covered in.
This was supposed to be a simple run. No aliens. No super humans. Just her, Maggie and an escaped convict. She'd handled much worse yet here she was with a bullet in her back.

"Keep your eyes open okay." Maggie repeated for the fifth time, "just keep em' open for me."

They sat there for a good ten minutes before sirens could be heard outside. Maggie yelled, signalling for a stretcher and paramedics.
Alex was now surrounded with people trying to help her and there Maggie stood, alone and covered in her girlfriends blood.

"Maggie!" Winn rushed over, "what happened?" He spoke through his heavy breaths as he came to a halt.

Maggie stood silently, her eyes fixed on Alex. Winn glanced at Alex and back at Maggie.
"Hey I'm sure she's gonna be fine." He rested his hand against Maggie's shoulder, "Alex is strong."

Maggie and Winn had never been especially close but in that moment, with Winn by her side, Maggie crumbled. She latched her arms around Winn, her heart eyes still locked on Alex as she was lifted onto a stretcher.
Winn returned the hug, his hands placed on her back.

"You should go with Alex to the hospital. Me, Kara and Hank will meet you there." Her gestured toward the ambulance as they separated.

Maggie looked back at Winn as she climbed into the ambulance alongside Alex, taking her hand.
The doors slammed shut and Maggie looked down at Alex.

"Maggie."

"Alex?" Maggie wiped her eye, "we're in our way to the hospital. We'll be there soon."

"I love you." Alex smiled gently.

The journey to the hospital seemed to last forever as Maggie, surrounded by paramedics, remained clutched onto Alex's frail hand.
As the ambulance came to a stop, Maggie was quickly moved aside by a woman dressed in green as Alex was rushed away.

"Maggie?" Kara yelled, running toward her, "if Alex okay? What happened?"

"Alex was shot. They're going to operate." She said blankly, her eyes wandering across her red hands. She'd completely forgotten that she was covered in blood.

"Let's get you cleaned up." Kara saw the worry in Maggie's eyes, "then we'll go wait for Alex."

What came next were the longest three hours of Maggie's life. Sitting there, not knowing whether the love of her life would make it through.

"Family of Alex Danvers?" A nurse walked through the waiting room doors.

Maggie and Kara jumped up from their seats, now accompanied by Winn, Hank and Mon El.
"Yes?" Maggie spoke up.

"Alex will be waking up soon. I can take you to her." The young woman spoke in a soft, soothing voice as she directed them down a nearby corridor.

"Alex?" Maggie smiled as she rushed over to the bed in which Alex lay, "how're you doing?" She took her hand once again.

"So much better now that you're here."