A Rather Horrific Occurence.

The silence was both deafening and intimidating but, Myrna didn't let that stop her from venturing inside. She was a detective after all. Nothing scared her. The darkness seemed to engulf her as soon as she stepped foot past the foyer. She sucked in a breath, siffling the urge to turn around and leave. She was no coward. A little darkness and the clogging metallic scent that was teasing her olfactory senses didn't make her quake with fear. Not at all. As she wandered farther inside using the torch in her hand to guide her, her steps echoed and the metallic stench became stronger. She moved towards the wooden doorway right in front of her. That was were the stench was strongest. The door was ajar and unwilling to push it further open, she peeked in. What she saw there turned her features pale and then green. She rushed out and threw up into the bushes that indicated the border of the crime scene. They would probably be used as landmarks for the police to know where to put the tape. Wiping her mouth, she pulled out her phone to call her partner and the forensic department. It took three tries to reach them as her fingers were shaking so bad. Never in her four years of duty had she seen somthing so horrific and gory. She couldn't imagine what kind of sick monster would decorate the walls with a person's parts. Even if the parts belonged to another monster.

Ending the brief call, she shoved the phone into her pocket and then, froze. Was that a footstep that she heard?

She let out a silent laugh that sounded hysterical in her own mind. It was probably a cat or a dog. Or some other animal. Or someone. The killer. She had been so, focused on getting out and throwing up that she had not investigated the rest of the house. She had not looked to see if the killer, the monster, was still inside.

Taking a deep breath for courage, she turned around to go look and connected with a sharp, shiny metal that robbed her of the breath that had already been difficult to draw.

The next day, the newspapers announced the death of the famous detective who had killed and mutilated a dear friend of hers, called it in pretending to have found the body and then, killed herself.

Her partner, who has known Myrna for a better part of her life, protested against the newspaper's and the department's declaration of suicide. Her words were unheard and the case closed.