An Unusual Pain

A sharp pain traveled through my head causing my vision to momentarily flicker. A shut my eyes against the pain and tried to focus on my homework.

  Having suffered from brain tumor and then neurosurgery during the last few months, I had learned to deal with the blinding headache that caused temporary sensory loss. What I didn't understand was why I was experiencing the pain in the first place. The doctor had said that the pain of the surgery should last only a few days and that the tumor had no chance of reappearing with this method. Yet, he seemed to have lied as the pain had started again a few days ago. It had been there months since, the surgery.

  As soon as my vision cleared, I reached for the phone that lay hapzardly on the corner of my desk. I would make an appointment with a different doctor. One that wouldn' lie. But, a hand on my arm stopped me.

  I looked up to see that the hand belonged to my mother.

  "Another doctor can't help you. Only the Spacelord can cure you. And he will as long as you do his bidding," she said.

   My eyes filled with tears. My mother had always offered good advice and I wanted he horrid pain to stop. There was only one problem. My dear mother was dead.

   So, how was she standing right before me.

   "Mum,"I said, choking on the hard lump in my throat. "How are you here? I missed you so much."

   I moved to wrap my arms around her in a good solid hug. Then,just as quickly, I moved back.

    "You're not really here. Are you? This is a hallucination."

    "Yes, it is. But, that doesn't mean that I am not right," she responded in that way of hers that always made eveything better in a way only a parents support and advice can.

     "Okay. But, who is this Spacelord? Who can help cure me."

    "I think you know," was her quiet response before she disappeared leaving only air and be gasping in her wake.

    She was right. I did know who the Spacelord was. Known that way for the minature spaceships and advanced technologies  that decorated his clinic. It was my doctor. The one who had used one of those new, advanced technologies to shrink my brain tumor.

     So, I made the appointment with Dr. Drake for the very next day.  I was adviced a very expensive procedure.

    Now, it has been two years since said procedure and I have had no pain or hallucinations. I think the doctor was well-aware of the risks and side effects but, did not inform his patients so, he could farther his carrier and become more rich by performing an even more expensive procedure than shrinking brain tumors. Unfortunately, I have no proof and during the two instances when I went to the police to inform them of my suspiscions, I forgot why I was there. I have also found myself unable to speak when I try to tell anyone else of my suspicions.

************************************

A/N
This is my longest entry yet. Hope you enjoyed.

Please vote and comment. It would be lovely to know your thoughts on my work.

RIS