Chapter 2 - The day I fell in love with the rain.

I groaned looking at the sky. It was dark with thick clouds covering its every inch. Flashes of lightening could be seen here and there and roars of thunder could be heard. It was drizzling lightly but the tornado-like wind made up for the lack of rain.

Students around me rushed to get into their cars. They were all yelling about who's hitching a ride with whom and who's taking whose girlfriend home.

I rolled my eyes at their childishness and plugged in my earphones. Drowning the sound of bustling car horns and yelling into music I looked up at the dark sky.

Freaking weather reports couldn't get it right for once, could they?

I had no car so my only option was to walk. Yes, even in this weather. I checked my pockets.

50 cents. Not enough even for a bus ride.

My family wasn't rich. Hell, we barely made it to middle class. My mom had left us when I was only four saying she was too young to be a mother. My dad had raised me practically on his own. He was my father, my mother, my brother and my friend.

My mom's abandonment of me had implanted a distaste in my mind towards girls. I knew I was being irrational and stupid. Not everyone was the same. But I couldn't help it.

Then as I watched a girl break my best friend's heart that distaste gained more and more support. I watched as he turned into an alcoholic monster from a perfectly happy teenager who wanted nothing more than to just be loved.

So yeah, you could say that I didn't trust girls much.

I was so engrossed in the song that I didn't even notice when someone came to stand beside me.

When their shoulder brushed against mine, I turned my head to glare at them.

It was Rose.

She smiled at me radiantly, "Evan! It's you!"

I had no idea what she was so happy about. What? Did I have a purple Mohawk or was I in a panda suit? Why was she grinning like that?

That stupid grin which was somehow, for some unfathomable reason, turning my insides warm?

I grunted turning away.

She poked me in the shoulder like a child, "Evan, stop ignoring me!"

I sighed frustrated and pulled out one earphone from my ear, "What? Do you want something? If not then stop annoying me."

She didn't seem fazed in the least as she moved closer. She snatched the earphone from my hand and put it in her ear, "What are you listening to?"

I threw her an annoyed glance, "It's called none of your business."

"Really? By which band?"

Was she serious? Take a hint woman!

She grinned up at me, "Yeah, getting rid of me is not going to be easy."

"Why are you trailing after me again?" I asked her confused, "Eventually all of them give up when I don't show any attention. Well sometimes there are those annoying ones who think I'm staying away because I don't want to hurt them or some shit like that-"

"Whoa!" she exclaimed looking at me amused, "What are you talking about?"

"How you want to get in my bed?" I asked her not so sure now.

She burst out laughing, "What? God no! How did...? Why would I...?"

I stared at her flatly as she almost rolled on the floor in laughter.

"Are you done?"

"One second," she held up a finger to silence me and then burst out in laughter again.

I tapped my foot impatiently. I was trying to cover my embarrassment with my annoyance. I didn't really mix well with mushy gushy feelings like that.

"Why would you think that?" she chuckled, "I just want to be your friend."

"Really?" I asked her suspiciously, "Because most of them think I'll somehow fall for them if they show me their 'caring friend' side."

She rolled her eyes, "You've got a big ego, haven't you?"

"Just stating a fact," I shrugged tucking my hands in my pocket.

She rolled her eyes again and leaned in to me. Resting her head on my shoulder like we were besties since birth she chuckled, "Well I'm not interested in you like that. So rest easy."

My lips quirked upwards, "We'll see."

The continuous sound of rain mixed with Charlie Puth's See You Again created an unearthly environment. It was like I was in a hazy dream. Everything around of us melted into oblivion leaving only me, her and her warm head in my shoulder.

"I love the rain, you know?" she whispered.

"I hate it," I grumbled, "Mud everywhere, roads blocked with knee high waters and clothes getting dirty."

She chuckled, "You're such a pessimist. Why are you seeing the dark side? See the light. Imagine a small plant which was deprived of water so much that it was about to wither away even before it had the chance to grow up. Then the rain comes. With it's gentle touch and warmth, it helps the plant blossom lovingly like a mother helping her sick child. It takes care of it, something no one has bothered to before. It loves the plant. And the plant loves it back."

I stared at the girl beside me in wonder. Her words seemed to resonate within my core. In that moment I realized that she was no ordinary girl. She was someone with so much pain that it'd kill a normal person if he just saw it.

She needed someone to be her rain.

She lifted her head from my shoulder and took a step towards the rain. Stepping out from the shade, she lifted a tiny pale hand upwards.

"See?" she whispered gazing towards the sky which seemed a little clearer than before, "The sun is shining even through this pitch dark sky."

I followed her gaze. The rain had turned into light feather like drizzles along with the wind which had calmed down too.

Small rays of sunshine were peeking out through various places of the cloudy sky. A small ray fell right in front of her. She took a step forwards and slowly placed her palm underneath it. Bright rays adorned her small features and light reflected off her chocolate brown hair.

In that moment, light not only pierced the darkened sky but also my darkened heart.

A/N

Vote and comment please? You guys always bring a smile to my face by doing that.^_^

-Z