Chapter 3 - The day I started falling.

It was a sunny day out. I was going to Walmart because we had run out of groceries for the week. My hood was up once again concealing the headphones. I decided to take a shortcut through the park because come on, who the hell liked walking?

Then I saw her.

She was sitting on one of the swings in the park with her legs dangling off. A bunch of children had surrounded her. All of them had dopey smiles on their faces. I let my curiosity get the best of me and walked towards the scene.

"And then, the prince shouted 'I'm coming to save you my princess!" she looked up to the sky and brought her clenched fist to her heart as if she was the prince herself.

"Then what happened?" a little girl with pigtails asked, wonder plastered onto her face.

"Then the princess said," she pinched the girl's cheeks smiling, "that she could take care of herself just as much and didn't need a prince to save her!"

The girl giggled and rubbed her cheeks, "But that's not how it happens usually!"

Rose threw her head back and laughed, "Well it did happen in my story, got a problem?"

Her laugh wasn't like anything I had ever heard. I wouldn't say it was like the sweet chiming of heavenly bells because that would be stupid. Had anyone heard the bells of heaven?

But what I would say about her laughter was that it was real.

Her laugh was more real than any laugh I had ever heard.

It wasn't a forced chuckle or a flirty giggle. She didn't laugh because she had to or needed to. She didn't laugh like someone was shooting her and she had to look like a model 24/7.

She laughed because she genuinely wanted to. Because she was genuinely happy.

How she could find such pure happiness in the smallest of things when the rest of us couldn't be happy even if we ruled the entire universe?

She looked up and our eyes met.

"Evan!" she jumped up from the swing, "Is it you?"

"No, it's Abraham Lincoln," I muttered sarcastically.

Chuckling she turned to the kids, "Well I've got to go now, the president of US is summoning me. I'll see you guys tomorrow okay?"

All the kids groaned simultaneously. A few of the older ones turned to glare at me with so much hatred that even I flinched.

God, I hated kids.

Rose laughed, "Now, now. It's not his fault...well technically it is."

"Thanks so much," I winced as a little boy kicked me in the shin and stomped away angrily.

After a few more kicks and a lot more glares, we were finally free of the little demons.

"I hate kids," I muttered each words with venom as I kicked an pebble.

Rose laughed, "Well I love kids."

"Why?" I hated how much whiny I sounded, "Didn't you see how they attacked me?"

In the past couple of weeks Rose and I had become quite well friends. She was just so warm and welcoming that it was practically impossible to be rude to her. She was friends with everyone. Not just me. From the hot cheerleaders to the shy nerds, everyone loved her.

She was just that amazing.

She was comfortable with talking to me anytime, anywhere. She didn't care for appearances or faked anything.

To her, I might not have meant that much. To her, I was just one of the hordes of people she had befriended with her warmth and inviting aura.

But to me? She was one of the very few people I was beginning to open up to.

And I was scared as hell for that.

"Do you know why I love kids?" she glanced at me once before picking up a stick lying on the ground.

"Because you are one?"

"Haha. Very funny," she looked at me sarcastically, "No, it's because they'll remember you."

"Remember you?" I looked at her confused.

She nodded grinning as she began to draw a smiley face on the ground with the stick.

"If you just show them just a little care and love, they'll replicate that love a hundred times more and give it back to you. They'll always remember you as the amazing person they used to hang around as kids," she finished her drawing and looked up to me, "I want to be remembered like that Evan."

"You're saying that like you're gonna die tomorrow," I scoff shaking my head.

Something flashed in her eyes but it was gone so quickly that I couldn't decipher it.

Then she smiled.

A smile that was full of billions of emotions. Happiness and sadness, love and pain, warmth and longing.

Something sharp pierced my heart.

I felt warm and cold at the same time.

I felt happy and sad.

I wanted to smile and cry at the same time.

What was this feeling called again?

A/N

Don't forget to vote my lovelies! And yes, I'm updating twice in one day! XD I just have NO life!

-Z