Chapter 4 - The day I found out.

Winter was approaching sooner than was expected. It was just October and the warm after-summer weather had taken a turn to being bitter cold. Cold harsh wind rustled through the dried leaves of Dogwood trees in our backyard. Dad had never said anything about them but I knew that mom had planted those.

After all these years, the man still couldn't get over the woman who left him and still looked at those trees admiringly.

Pathetic.

I sighed as I rubbed my hands trying to warm them up. Our heater was broken and we wouldn't have enough money to fix it up till next month's paycheck.

I really hoped nothing else happened or else we would have to freeze to death. I rolled on my bed which was littered with books and papers and stared at the caramel coloured ceiling. A pen was clenched tightly in my hand.

Random thoughts filled my head. From the new Fast & Furious movie to my Biology assignment.

But mostly the thoughts were about Rose. She hadn't come to school for the past week because apparently she was sick with flu.

I told her not to eat all that ice cream.

Rose.

The strange petite girl with chocolate brown hair. Who's smile was seriously out of this world.

Out of this fake world which was full of cruelty.

Her words were so deep and meaningful that hearing them was like committing a sin. As if I wasn't worthy of listening to such kind words.

And her lips. A light pink-

My eyes widened.

What the hell?

Her lips?

Where the hell did that come from man?

I groaned and got up.

Lying around all weekend holed up in my room was making me crazy.

Sure. Blame it all on the room.

I walked out of my room and down the narrow corridor. Standing in front of the living room, I glanced around searching for my dad. It was evening but the all of the lights were already out.

"Dad, are you sleeping at random times again?" I asked a tired yawn escaping my mouth.

Getting no reply I assumed that my suspicion was in fact correct and he was sleeping. I walked inside and noticed that the TV was on. I glanced around trying to find the remote.

Then I heard a pained groan from my left.

My head snapped towards my dad who was lying on the couch in an uncomfortable position with his hand tightly clutching his stomach.

I ran to him in a matter of seconds, "Dad? Hey, dad! Look at me, dad!"

An incorrigible grunt was my only answer.

"Dad? What's wrong? Dad!"

My thoughts were getting all jumbled up. I could feel tears of panic stinging in the back of my eyes. My dad was the only person in this world whom I had left. He was my only family. My so-called-mother had done nothing to contribute to this family other than bringing me in this world.

"Dad! Please tell me! What's wrong?" I said frantically shaking his hand. Or maybe it was my hands that were shaking. I couldn't tell.

"My stomach," he grunted out in pain.

Suddenly it struck me.

Running to my room, I frantically searched for my phone.

Aha!