Five

AUGUST 30
1 YEAR

Every piece of my body throbs. It pulses up and down my legs and arms and radiates outward from my chest. I sit up and try to shift my weight, hoping to find a part of me that doesn't feel bruised and sore, but the glass scattered around me crunches under my weight, and I stop.

It's shattered. The whole beautiful sculpture. It's in a thousand pieces around me, littering the floor, each tiny piece symbolizing another hour I spent searching out the sea glass, painstakingly assembling it with all of its mates.

And now it's nothing. Just like me.

I reach up toward the bed and pull the ratty orange quilt off the mattress, covering myself completely. Now and then, the lightning strikes and my cocoon takes on a russet glow. The room buzzes with the sounds of the pouring rain, but I welcome it. It fills the room and drives away the silence.

A burst of light comes from the window, and the flash glints off a piece of tumbled amber glass poking into my cocoon. I kick it swiftly away. I can't ignore the ache in my chest as I watch it disappear. He knew how much that sculpture meant. He knew the nights I stayed up late putting it together.

He told me he would treasure it always.
Instead, he threw it in an explosion of rage.

The air inside the blanket warms, and I rock back and forth, back and forth, inside this bubble where nothing exists but me.
I don't know what to do anymore. I am alone.

Just as he intended.