Thirty-Three

DECEMBER 15
3 MONTHS, 15 DAYS

I grab the last of my textbooks from my locker, and when I slam the door and see Christina standing on the other side, staring straight at me, I'm so shocked I jump back.

"Oh, God, you scared me. Don't do that."
I laugh, but she doesn't join in. She just keeps staring, that solemn look on her face.

"Is it that shocking to see your best friend?" she asks. It should be a joke, but it's not.

"I know you called me yesterday. I'm sorry." I stare down at my books. "I was going to call you."

When did I grab the physics text? I don't need that one.

I turn back to the lock and start spinning it, looking for number thirty-two. I don't know why, but I feel like I've done something wrong. Like she caught me with my hand in the cookie jar or something.

"I called last week, too. And the week before." There should be an edge in her voice, but there's not. I don't think she has it in her to be mad at me, even if I am ignoring her.

She steps closer to me. "We're supposed to turn in the outline for our project in three days and it's only half done."

I swallow and keep staring at the numbers on the dial, but I swing right past six and have to start over. Guilt wells up in my stomach.

I shouldn't keep avoiding her like this. Christina and I were inseparable three months ago.

Three months. That's how long I've been with Tobias, and that's how long it takes to forget what it's like to hang out with your best friend every day.

I take my eyes off the lock and look at her. She's so close I can see right into her pupils. It's almost worse to realize she's not angry, just hurt. I shouldn't keep abandoning her like this.

"We can do something. Soon. Email me the outline and I'll add to it."

"That's what you said about the resources page. I had to complete it myself during math class because you forgot."

I cringe. "I know. I've been a crappy friend. We'll work on it soon, I swear."

God, what is wrong with this stupid lock?

"How 'bout tonight?"

I stop on thirty-two again. I knew she'd ask that. It's why I have such a hard time talking to her now. It used to be every night we'd hang out. No notice, no asking, we just knew. So when Tobias came along, I disrupted all that.

But all I think of all day is hanging out with him, seeing him, and it's what I want most. How can I tell her that?

I can't.

"Call me tomorrow and we can get together. We'll get a bunch of junk food and catch up on the project. Maybe we can even get ahead, you know? I'll stay all night, I promise."

I get my locker open and cram the physics book inside it and then slam it closed and turn toward her. I hate the look on her face as my words register. I hate that I'm putting her off again. But Tobias already told me he has a surprise for me tonight. And he said he was thinking about hanging out on the beach this weekend. I'm just booked up, is all. I really do want to hang out with her, just not right this minute.

"Okay. Fine."

"Okay?"

I don't know why I ask again. Why I think if she says it's okay, it really is.

"Sure. See you later," she says, then turns and walks away before I can say anything else.

And as I watch her retreat, I wonder how long I can keep ignoring her before she no longer considers me a friend.