Chapter Ten

A large, imposing man sat on a wooden throne-like chair at the end of the long room they had entered. His face was weathered and had deep lines. His skin was leathery wherever it showed, speaking of countless hours spent outside. His muscles bulged under a somewhat clean tunic. Five other equally physically impressive men stood around him, deep in conversation. At Connor and Lilia's appearance, however, their talk quickly petered out.

"What is the meaning of this intrusion?" the man in the throne asked angrily.

Connor stepped forward, partially in front of Lilia, as if to block her from the man's words and gaze. Although she appreciated his concern, she stepped out to stand next to him, shooting him a look that she hoped conveyed the message, we're in this together.

"Sir, we come bearing bad tidings," Connor said formally. "I regret to inform you that Prince Luca's army marches upon your town as we speak."

The room froze. The man's eyebrows lifted slowly. When he spoke, it was like he was breaking a spell. "You're sure of this?"

"We passed them on our way into town."

"Who are you?"

Connor lied quickly and easily. "I'm Theodore. This is my sister, Penelope."

Lilia glanced at him. Penelope? Seriously? And "sister?" She couldn't see how it was believable, what with her hair being a rather dull shade of brown and his the lightest blond there could be.

"Sister?" the man asked suspiciously, voicing Lilia's thoughts.

"Half sister," Connor amended smoothly. "Same father, different mothers."

The man still seemed suspicious, but accepted the story for the time being. "So you claim that Prince Luca's men march on our village? And where do you hail from?"

"A town several miles from here. It was completely destroyed when the prince attacked. Our friend was murdered." At least Connor wasn't lying on this front.

The man's eyebrows dropped from their raised position to furrow deeply, making his wrinkles even more prominent. "Is that so?"
"Yes, sir."

"Is his story true?" the man asked suddenly, focusing on Lilia.

Lilia was so startled at the attention in the room swiveling to her that she couldn't speak for a second. When she rediscovered her voice, she said as confidently as she could manage, "Yes, sir."

The man gestured to one of his comrades, his gaze still on Connor and Lilia. Lilia fought the urge to reach for Connor's hand out of fear.

The latter man bent down so as to listen to what the man in the throne had to say. He nodded, stood, beckoned for yet another man to follow him, and together they left the building.

"If you are lying to us," the man in the throne said darkly, "I will not hesitate to put you in the same position that the unfortunate thief outside was in."

Lilia's hand instinctively rose to her neck and she felt a flash of panic. No, she told herself sternly. We have nothing to fear. We saw the army with our own eyes. An army can't just disappear in a matter of minutes.

But then again, this wasn't Earth. This was a strange, magical planet with strange, magical rules. The insanity of it all hit Lilia hard for what felt like the millionth time in the two days she had been in Dwirinel.

"Please, you have to evacuate your people now," Connor pleaded. "They're all going to die if you do not."

The man rose from his throne. He was even taller than he had seemed, towering over Connor, who was a good six feet at least. His eyes sparked like a fire.