Chapter Twenty Two

Soon, all of Lilia's ex-Improbable Slaves were armed with makeshift weapons and ready to attack - well, free - the remaining Slaves. She hoped that, in the heat of the battle, they remembered the very important distinction.

Night had fallen more quickly than anyone had expected (such was improbability), and it was now or never.

She herself was armed with her knife and the adrenaline that had been slowly building within her for the past hour or so. It had only taken about twenty minutes for everyone to find a tool sharp enough to cut off the necklaces with, but the rest of the time had been dedicated to strategizing. Finally, they had developed a plan of sorts.

Alia knew the big shots in camp better than anyone, the Slaves who were on the top of the food chain due to seniority. Even though the necklaces dulled wits, Slaves still had their own individual personalities, which meant that Alia knew their patterns and habits - and most importantly, how to get close to them.

Lilia decided that two of both the men and women would be sent to free as many Slaves as possible, starting with the ones who slept the heaviest, enabling a quick and silent attack, and moving their ways up to the riskier, more sensitive ones.

The rest of the Slaves would form a shield around her as she moved to Connor's house. Lilia felt slightly foolish bringing so much protection with her, but Connor was an amazing fighter, and much stronger than she was alone. Even if he managed to subdue her (which Lilia had no doubt he could), the other Slaves could then battle him as well. It was her insurance.

Finally, they were ready to attack.

They split into the groups. Matt was leading Lilia's, as he knew the camp better than she did, and he directed them out of the forest and into the darkened streets of the Improbable Slaves' village. Lilia's heart was beating so hard that she was sure her shirt was lifting off of her chest.

She had memorized the position of Connor's house over the hour that she had been watching it. About twenty minutes ago, he had entered his house and hadn't emerged since, nor had there been any light coming from the window. All was dark, which Lilia sincerely hoped meant he was asleep.

"Is he a light sleeper?" Matt asked in a quiet whisper.

"Yes," replied Lilia in an equally soft tone, remembering that when she shifted in her sleep, it had woken him up a couple of times now.

Matt made sure everyone had heard her before announcing in a whisper, "He's probably going to wake up as soon as we enter, so everyone, get ready. Alec?"

Alec was the man who could wield weak magic. "Yes?" he asked tremulously. Lilia wondered if this was the first battle he would be in with a free mind. After all, before becoming a Slave, the man had been a pacifist.

"I need you to cast a spell of light as soon as we get in there. We'll need to see what we're doing without risking burning down the house. Can you manage that?"

Looking relieved that nothing more was being asked of him, the man nodded swiftly.

Matt crouched at the door of Connor's house. He rested his flat hand on the wood. "Three...two...one," he mouthed, and shoved open the door.

The ex-Slaves and Lilia tumbled into the house, weapons at the ready. Alec muttered a few words and a ball of light flew to the ceiling, illuminating the area in its entirety.

Connor was already rising from his bed, his expressionless face quickly contorting into cold fury.

"Connor!" Lilia screamed, unable to control herself. The sight of him, so helpless, a servant to such a simple necklace - it tore her apart.