Birthday Present

A/N - argh! I started writing this chapter on the wrong story and managed to delete the chapter instead of copying it. The struggle is real. Also this one is the last stress-free chapter and even it has some conflict because I am not good with writing stress-free chapters hahahaha sorry it's so short but

Allura smiled at Pidge, who rubbed her eyes and yawned. She then returned the princess's smile with her own.

"Good morning, paladins!" Allura said as the rest of the team stepped into the bridge. "Today is very special, but you mustn't tell Coran."

"What's today?" Hunk asked.

"Well, it's not Coran's birthday." Allura said, winking.

"Oh, gotcha."

"So whose birthday is it?" Lance asked, scratching his scalp.

"It's not Coran's birthday." Allura said again, winking and nodding heavily at Lance.

"Yeah, so whose birthday is it?!" Lance shouted.

"It's Coran's birthday." Allura said quietly.

"Oh, well happy birthday to him!"

"Happy birthday to who?" Coran asked, stepping onto the bridge.

"To the castle!" Keith answered quickly. "It's the castle's anniversary today."

"The castle wasn't built today! It was built tomorrow, but 10,602 years ago tomorrow."

"What Keith means," Allura said, sifting through castle records, "is that this is the anniversary of the castle waking up."

"Oh." Coran glanced at the floor, then back up to Keith and Allura. "Well, wish it happy birthday for me!" He said, walking out of the room uncomfortably.

"Why couldn't we just say happy birthday?" Pudge asked, reaching Coran's sad exit in her mind.

"Because we're going to throw him a party! That's what you do on Earth, isn't it? It'll surprise him because on Altea, everyone just says 'Happy Birthday!' and that's all. He's going to be so pleased." Allura was jumping up and down with excitement.

Keith and Shiro exchanged a look. Shiro coughed. "Allura, maybe it's best that you tell him 'happy birthday' so we don't end up drowning."

"Why would you...?" Keith interrupted Allura to continue.

"You know Coran - he's fine on the big issues. He can make it through - but he freaks out over the little things. He may overreact - a lot." Allura had to admit that Coran was... exactly the way Keith described him.

"Alright. But let me do it!"

"Do what?" Lance asked, bringing Coran into the room. He was confidently playing with his mustache. He strutted up to Allura and bowed.

"Princess. I heard you were afraid to tell me 'happy birthday' because you had something more... special in mind." He blinked twice and stood silent for a moment before laughing at Allura's discomfort.

"Coran, while I appreciate... The..."

"No, don't worry. Lance told me you wanted to throw me a party, and that was why you didn't say anything to me! It's totally fine." Coran smiled and Allura relaxed.

"Come on, guys, we need to get some breakfast." Shiro cut in. "It's the most important meal of the day."

"I'll make some blueberry pancakes with bananas on the side. I'll substitute the pancakes with food goo, since we don't have pancakes... And for the blueberries, I can use food goo because we don't have any blueberries. And the bananas will be delicious! They'll just be made out of food goo."

"I'm sorry, Hunk." Allura said. "We need to get to another space mall or planet where they have some decent food."

--

"This is amazing!" Pidge​ said, shoving a spoonful of goo inside her mouth.

"Glad you like it, but it's just ordinary goo." Hunk said, picking up his empty plate.

"Oh. Well, it's really good." Pidge said, taking another bite.

"It's probably better than whatever the galra fed you." Keith said. If they fed you at all.

"Yeah, much better." Pidge said, smiling. "Well, I'm all done." She picked up her plate, still piled with goo.

"Why'd you take so much?" Lance asked.

"I got it for her. She used to eat that much, and it was hard to tell how much anyone ate last night." Hunk answered, and the team smiled, remembering the food fight.

Before anyone could comment, the castle alarms went off, and everyone jumped to their feet.

The galra were here.