Chapter 6:Oh Boy...

Noticing an absence right away, I fluttered my eyes open, looking around the dim light of the den. Lucifer was gone and there was a chunk of meat on the ground in front of me. I blinked my eyes in confusion. Why am I alone? Did they trust me enough to leave me alone in a den? I slowly got up with a stretch and slight yawn. The cool air hanging by the entrance confirmed to me that it was dawn. I flicked my tail and walked towards the opening and tentatively looked around. There wasn't a single wolf in the area around the dens.

"What the...." I said to myself.

Maybe this was a trick set up to catch me running and to test my obedience. I feared any punishment, so I went back into the den and picked up the chunk of meat. I then walked back out of the den, this time going all the way out. Maybe they're gone for a bit, and they'll be back. I'd really impress the dragga if he saw me sitting outside the den, eating what was given to me. It didn't take me long to finish the medium piece of flesh, so I huffed and laid down for a small nap.

:About an hour later:

My senses restored and I opened my eyes to the empty den site. I lifted my head off the ground and tilted it. This is weird... I thought to myself. They wouldn't have abandoned me.

I sat up and began to investigate the area further. My tail stayed low, and my ears searched for any presence. Why was everyone gone?

Once again, I was thrown into an emotional battle. Should I stay in this wretched forest, or leave despite the consequences? Logically, leaving was the better alternative. My instincts told me to be obedient, but my heart screamed at me to run.

And run is exactly what I did. My legs seemed to move on their own accord as i turned and began to jog through the dead forest.

Pacing myself wasn't an issue, keeping myself on a safe path was. Looking behind me, I gathered that they didn't know of my absence. My worries turned towards Lucifer's connection with me. I rejected him as my mate, but he still has his claim on me.

SHIT!!!

He can track me easier than any of them can!! Too late now, I'm going to get beat if I go back, so I might as well keep going. I slowed my pace to save more energy.

The trees were beginning to make an appearance less and less, so I took in my new surroundings. I could smell their territory marker, and I wagged my tail in delight.

I'm out of that hell hole!! I crossed the market and looked around for anything familiar. The elk herds were down in the large field, so I should start there. A calf would be something easy for me.

Feeling like what I did was defiant and dominant, I walked with my head high and my tail up. I found myself on a small hill, overlooking the field with the herd. I needed to be closer to make a good assumption on potential targets.

I lightly jogged down the slope and began my stalking from a good meadow away. My Amber eyes searched for any signs of weaknesses. Calls were plentiful, but I knew what I was after.

I began to trot, causing a stir in the mix of elk. They were noticing my presence and all began to run east. I increased my pace to keep up with my target.

My ears fell back to make things easier for me as I ran, and I took a small sharp turn to split the herd. Ignoring all the calfs, I chased the old bull.

His weakness was obvious on his scarred back leg. It drove me onward, my instincts took over. He was now separated from the rest.

I was on his heals now, and I leaned forward to nip his injury. Just as I expected, he stumbled, giving me enough time to leap up at his neck.

My momentum brought us both down and I held on. We looked at each other. His eyes showed experience and age. He's led the herd through many calving seasons, and now his time was over.

I dropped his neck and looked at the dead bull. My heart was beating out of my body and I tilted my head and began to tear the rough hide away, revealing the shiny red meat beneath.

For the first time in my life, I ate first. I didn't have to share. Nearly as soon as I tore through the roughest part of the hide, Ravens and other birds of prey began to gather. I growled at them causing few to fly away.

Rolling my eyes, I sank my teeth into the warm, fresh, meat of the carcass. I wasn't used to this much food, so I didn't get through a whole lot before I heard something approach.

I lifted my head and saw a female grizzly bear. Knowing this predator was too much for me, I took one of the back legs and made off with no fuss. So I laid down in the shade of a large elm tree and ate my earned piece.

Once again, I was disturbed from my meal by twigs snapping. I could smell the male before I saw him and growled from where I was.

"Hey now, no need to be hostile." He said. His coat was a beautiful light grey. He was large, but not threatening.

"State your business." I demanded.

"I'm merrily just a lone male who seeks food, and would be honored to share it with a gorgeous female, such as yourself.."

I blinked and straightened myself up before lifting my head. "You don't seek to harm me?"

"No no my dear. I'd love to protect you..."

"You'd..." I started, but fell silent as he came closer to me.

His smell was so clear to me now as I couldn't help but smile. Then, almost as if flicking a switch, I felt a connection. How can this be? We are merely strangers to one another...

Fear made me back up slightly. But I stopped when he moved closer to me and looked into my amber eyes, as I looked into his beautiful yellowish green eyes.

"Please stay."

:Authors Note:

Hey readers, what's up? Sorry for the short chapter, but there are big plans for sage and her adventures with this new wolf. He needs a name, and his role might be obvious lol. But I digress

Sage will encounter the rouge pack again, so don't think it's almost over, when in reality... It has only begun. Here we go kids.

Stay awesome readers!!