Darren

Darren never really dug parties. He didn't know why people kept thinking he was some kind of party guy, maybe it was his easy going personality, or maybe it was because he liked to make a lot of jokes. But despite what everyone thought, parties just weren't his thing. He already had a reputation back at Camp Jupiter for being some kind of jinx, so it wasn't as if he had much experience socializing with other people.

So naturally he wasn't digging the bonfire tonight which always involved a whole lot of smore roasting and singing. He wasn't alone. Kirito was not the singing type, so he tended to hang around at the back of the ampithetre. And Asuna always loved being with Kirito, so she sat with them as well.

Tonight, they were joined by Chiron who was letting Travis and Connor Stoll from the Hermes cabin lead the singalong tonight.

"A yokai in camp?" said Chiron. "I must admit, I have seen stranger, but yokai have never usually come into any Greek associated domain. They have always been shy of anything related to our mythology."

"Well this was definitely an Onyudo." said Kirito. "And it had Kronos's sign on it."

"Yeah." said Darren. "And I've got it's saliva all over me!"

"Darren you've already taken 5 showers." said Asuna. "I'm pretty sure that stuff is off by now."

"Bleeaaaaghhhhh." said Darren shivering. "Being licked by that thing was like being rubbed in the face by slimy Yuki-onna. So.......cold......."

"You'll get over it." said Asuna.

Darren didn't think so....but he hoped Asuna was right. Cause he swore he could still feel that weird fox's tongue on his face.

"So I heard you found Aincrad." said Kirito.

Chiron nodded. "I see Hazel has told you. Yes, it's  hovering over Tokyo without exhibiting any sort of movement whatsoever. Normally I would imediately call a quest to infiltrate the castle, but knowing Kronos, I don't think it's safe until we know more."

"I think we should go to Tokyo tomorrow." said Kirito.

Chiron raised his eyebrows. "That is quite a brash move."

"I'm with Kirito." said Darren. "If we keep on waiting and doing nothing, then Kronos is going to hammer us before we even make a move. What if Kronos is just doing this to delay us and make sure we don't intefere with whatever he's up to inside that giant floating building of his?"

"That's what I think." said Kirito. "He's in Tokyo, which mean's he's completely skipped over Greece which was supposed to be his destination. That can only mean he's got some sort of thing planned for Tokyo. And I'm not waiting to see what that is......We have to stop him."

Chiron scratched his beard. "Hmmmmmmmm.........I see..........alright then........but be warned, if this is one of Kronos's tricks......"

Kirito nodded.

"So how are getting there?" asked Darren. "Plane tickets?"

"No." said Chiron. "I am afraid the camp's budget has been quite low lately, and after the cyclops problem Asuna had on her flight here, I do not think it wise to take any form of public transportation."

"Plus the car we took here's teleportation capability won't be able to go far enough to get us across the ocean." said Kirito.

"There is one way." said Chiron. "But I'll need to make a call first........."

You know, thought Darren. Maybe if I used that weird power I have we'll somehow by some random lucky chance get a........

"Hey guys! Is that a flying boat!?"

Wow...that was quick. Okay, now if only a plate of chili dogs will fall out of the sky.

Hazel came over with a large plate of hotdogs. "Hey Darren, I got some extras from dinner, want some?"

Close enough.

Darren looked up with his mouth full of hotdog. Sure enough, there was a giant ship coming down from the night sky, it had a giant dragon head prow and weapons and full blown sails. "No way.....That's the Argo 2!!"

"But Leo said it wouldn't be good for flight for ages!" said Hazel. "What's it doing out here!?"

At the head of the ship, waving like the hyperactive guy he was, was none other Leo Valdez. "HEY GUYS!!! AM I AWESOME OR WHAT!!!!??"

All the other campers looked up and pointed with wonder while Piper near the front of the bon fire smiled and shook her head. "That is sooooo Leo."

"A flying ship?" said Asuna. "Now I've seen it all."

The Argo 2 touched down next to the bonfire and Leo climbed down the ladder and walked forward with his hands out like he was expecting a hug. "People of camp, I come in piece!!! Now give me all your root beer, and my planet will not go to war!!!"

"Leo you clown!" said Hazel. "Do you always have to make an entrance like that?"

"It's just part of my boyish charm!" said Leo. "Now seriously, do you have any root beer, I ran out of coke on the way here."

"So I guess we have our transportation." said Chiron smiling and shrugging. "Though why on earth Leo decided to come here of all times is beyond me."

"I guess it was just luck." said Darren. "Plain, simple luck."

Kirito looked at Darren with a look in his eyes that seemed to know what Darren was talking about. When they had first come here, Hazel, Kirito, and Darren had made an agreement with each other not to talk about Darren's ability, mainly because it was so strange and neither of them completely understood it themselves.

Darren had the ability to control one of the aspects of magic, a strange power called The Odds. It meant that if Darren concentrated hard he could control random chance, or become 'lucky' so to speak. Darren for the longest time, had actually been unable to control this ability and therefore he would accidentally cause 'bad luck' earning his reputation in Camp Jupiter as a bad luck magnet, nicknamed the Super Unlucky Schmuck, or Sus for short.

Kirito leaned in near Darren and whispered. "So....did you just.....you know?"

"To be honest." said Darren. "I have absolutely no idea....this power has been going so wild lately, I'm not sure what's coincidence plain and simple, or me causing stuff."

It used to be that in order to activate Darren's power he would have to concentrate intensely. Now it seemed like his power was going all over the place, and not all of it was good. Like just the other day, Darren was craving something sweet, and suddenly an icecream truck wrecked right next to camp. Free ice cream spilled out, but the driver needed to go to the ICU. Or like earlier this morning when he was wishing he could get back at Travis Stoll for the water balloon prank he had pulled earlier, when Travis accidentally dropped some bacon on his foot which had resulted in Tiberius the tiger biting his foot and nearly turning Travis into an amputee. Ambrosia had fixed it right up.........but it left a bad taste in Darren's mouth.

"You don't think there's something wrong with me....do you?" asked Darren worriedly.

"Of course not." said Kirito. "You just need to learn how to better control your power that's all."

Darren nodded. But he couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen.....if only he had something to keep his mind off of- "OW!!"

A book titled: Activities to Keep Your Mind Occupied, had just fallen on Darren's head.