C A G Ë D

14. T H E E M P R E S S

      The Empress rested her chin on folded hands as she looked at the hologram

A three dimensional map of Paris levitated on her desk. Her eyes drifted over three separate locations within the city. Before, she had dismissed her spies, she had asked for the Rebels hideaways.

      Hours passed by, but she still remained seated at her office, with a goblet of blood. The Empress was in a vicious cycle of feeding and brooding.

      Her brows were hooded over her eyes as she assessed each location for the thousandth time.

"First location," she repeated "La Défense, west of Paris a major business district." She spoke, and the skyscrapers on the map rose at their mention. The Rebels had dispersed themselves in the metro area, knowing that no matter how vile she may be, The Empress would never allow the city's business district to fall under. It brought in the wealth that funded not only her lavish lifestyle, but deposited straight into the accounts, of those that aided her ascension to the throne.

She brought the goblet to her lips and drank plenty, before setting it down and turning her attention back to the map.

The second location bemused her, "what can they want with the Parc des Expositions?" The vast space of the exposition centre rose. It was located in between train stations, that now connected the entire city. "Feasible way of travelling I presume." She murmured.

Finally, The Empress exhaled while looking at the last location. The one she had dreaded the most. "What is this sudden fascination with churches?" She wondered aloud, "they're not bases to be lived in." The Empress couldn't help it, her thoughts drifted to Mira and the lonely church she slept in. She wondered what the girl was up to. "Probably weeping at the feet of Jesus, praying for a miracle." Then The Empress eyed the medieval cathedral on her map. "Notre-Dame, Notre-Dame you must feel so used housing miserable rebels, giving them false hope." The glorious structure of the church floated up on the map.

The Empress stood up, hoping that an aerial view of the three locations, would illuminate something more. She studied her tower which stood in the lonely middle, as the three locations were highlighted. An unbelievable thought occurred to her then as she stared at the addresses.

Her finger lifted, to trace the triangular pattern that surrounded the tower, "they've caged me in." She spoke, "from the west, the south, and the east."

She remembered what the boy told her.

I'd arm the Blood Bank, with your Undead Army, Empress. I suspect you'll be getting more then just citizens coming for their weekly Vial on Friday.

"Tour Montparnasse," she whispered. The 58 floor high rise, elevated on the map. The Blood Bank was in between the exposition centre and the church. Enslaved humans were taken there to have their blood extracted. Some of the humans there worked towards earning their vampire nobility. If they pledged their blood willingly, after a certain amount of years they'd be turned into vampires. Incentives, The Empress had hoped would tempt humans out of hiding.