A D D I C T I Ø N

12. T H E  E M P R E S S

      The world was a vision of chrome, caught in between two halves of solid and liquid

The sandy white beach was crystal white, as were the crashing waves. The molten sun was colourless, and it beat down bleached rays on palm trees, which looked like chiseled silver figurines. Mira's body too, seemed to be crafted of crystal.

The Empress' time in the Magic Mirror had been rather exciting. For the last two months she had spent hours watching the future, and Mira. She was seen less and less in her own time, choosing to delve into the tomorrows. The woman had learned that she could see vague glimpses of the future. A few snippets here, a few seconds there, to piece together the puzzle of what would occur. However, what she had not expected, was the addictive manner in which she would watch present time, and its unfolding.

      Now, The Empress stood like a ghost on the beach and watched Mira, who was oblivious of her, completely unaware of The Empress' unseen presence.

      The girl cupped a fistful of sand and watched it get carried away by the wind. Her voice came out slightly muffled, but no doubt The Empress heard it.

      "The island, it's sinking." Mira's voice was riddled with panic and yet the softness of her cadence disgusted the woman.

      The Empress walked the distance between them, and peered over the girl's shoulder, into the hole.

      "Ah, oh dear." The Empress hummed. Water began to seep in the sand, the liquid pulled at the small sediments creating a sinkhole. "You're not wrong about that." The Empress surveyed the landscape then looked at Mira's worried face. "I'd say, you have a week at most, before you go under."

      Mira turned to look for her fairy friend who had drunkenly flown away. The Empress watched as the girl ran into the glassy foliage, disappearing a few seconds later.

"Glorious day, glorious day." The Empress' ghostly body drifted to the lonely umbrella and white sheet. She had spent enough time in the mirror to know more of Mira. "She's afraid of the water, and she has no boat." The woman sat down stretching her long legs out. Although, she could not feel the sun or the wind on her body she feigned the actions, of a beach goer. "If my calculations are correct, that means no chance of survival. She'll be given a watery grave." An excited laugh left her lips, "she's not match for me, nature's going to do her in." The woman cupped a hand to her mouth and mimicked a shout at the long gone girl. "You should have stayed in labyrinth, Mira! At least you would have been somewhat alive."

      The sun shone on a familiar book that contained verses for the religiously inclined. The Empress bared her teeth at it comically and hissed before throwing back her head and laughing once more. It was clear that The Empress was in a joyous mood, given news she had hoped for. A sparkling bottle gleamed near her hand and she stifled her laughter to examine it.