E L I T Ë

28. M I R A

      The hill overlooks The city of Losian

      All the lights mould into one throbbing pulse of life, underneath a canopy of man made of stars. The dirt that I sit on is soft and instinctively I let my fingers sink into it.

      My head is still buzzing with a slight tremor of liquid courage. I turned to Comrade who is sitting beside me, his legs hang off the hill and he looks at the sight wistfully.

      "You're staring." He murmurs while turning to me.

      I look away, but not from embarrassment. His eyes seem to glow in the lowlight. If I'm being honest I'm not sure if I can hold such a smouldering gaze.

"So," he says, "you can channel fire, and your blood brings roses to life. What else can you do?" He lists off the things on his fingers.

      "I don't know. I don't remember anything from my past, I don't know what else I'm capable of." The truth hangs in between us, and I feel I have to fill the silence. "On the train, you told me to keep my abilities hidden."

I watch a strobing flash of green jet up from a crowded building. The light slowly roves around the sky and gradually changes to a bright pink and neon orange.

"Why?" I ask.

Comrade runs his fingers through his hair.

"There's a reason we've built a whole city beneath Paris." He starts. "The elite Vampires above are ruthless. They will take, until there is nothing left to take, and they will still want more." He turns to look at me as a serious edge tenses his voice. This time I focus on his words and not his eyes.

"She calls herself The Empress," a chill runs down my spine at her name, Comrade continues, "she's unconventional. She's dangerous." He says. "There's not many people left with powers like your's Mira. Her and her Court, they steal from people like you, and they don't think twice about it. To them, people like us don't matter, we're replaceable. We're nothing but blood and bone to them."

"Well," I let his words sink in, "what about the clan? Is it safe to tell them at least? I don't know how to control it," I admit before tugging my legs up. I rest my chin on my knees. "Sometimes it overpowers me." I think back to the fire I wrapped around his throat, there's a pink line around his neck. "I'm sorry about earlier, I didn't mean to hurt you." I finally chalk up the courage to apologise.

He laughs and for a moment we've broken the layer of stone around him, "To be fair I did almost take your head off."

I join in on his laughter and we let the madness of our words take over. But before I know it, the moment is gone and something glints over his eyes. He's silent as his brows come together, like someone's saying something in his head. After a few seconds he speaks.

"We should go now." He stands up and so do I, my feet are unsteady. His hand reaches out to right my stance before he pulls away.

The walk back to the house is silent, and with every step we take closer to home, the distance is felt in our body language. Comrade make's sure to walk briskly and in front with his hands shoved into his jacket pockets. I'm a few steps behind from him, only when we get to the door and he unlocks it does he recognise my presence.

Comrade waits until I get inside and begins to close the door, he's still outside.

"Aren't you coming in?" I ask quietly.

Instead of answering he shakes his head and shuts the door, the key turns the lock in place. I hear his footsteps fade away and I'm left standing alone in the dark.

I reach out blindly and feel my way across the living room wall. Softly inching my way up the two flights of stairs.

My door is open and the stars from the grid can be seen through the window. I trip over the first step and catch myself before I cause a quake that will shake the house awake.

Thorn is nowhere to be seen so I think that she curled up with Callum. I head to the bathroom before I get ready to go to sleep. My hand is on the door knob just as it turns and flies open, hitting me head on.

Kieran emerges from the bathroom and his eyes are surprised when he finds me on the floor.

"Mira, I'm so sorry." He reaches down to help me up. "I didn't realise you were out here."

I'm about to say it's ok but my skin begins to heat up again.

Kieran isn't wearing a shirt and I'm painfully aware of how toned his body is. He pulls his hand away from mine as my skin burns him.

"Ouch," he murmurs.

"It's fine." I say before rushing back to my room and closing the door.

"Don't you want to use the bathroom?" He asks.

I look down at my wrists which are glowing with light. "Ah, no thanks the feeling passed."

Kieran shuffles past my room and I hear him shut his own door before his bed springs squeak under his body.

I turn my head towards the wall that my dresser rests against.

His room is right next to mine?

I'm standing in the quiet of my room and wait until the light in my wrists fades. I breathe out in relief. I have to learn how to control it.