Chapter 11: Surprise!

It was a fresh day, and Arman felt confident by now that whoever was messaging him was reliable. Arman began packing his things because he had to go for college. Given the new direction his life was taking, he was feeling a little enthusiastic. It was the first time someone truly wanted to assist him rather than hurt him.

~beep~

The text said, "Good morning, Arman:)" "It's a beautiful morning, isn't it?" Arman answered, "Yes, it is," in response. Taking his suitcase, he set out to stroll along the road that led to his college. Arman continued to stroll till he came to Ashita, who was standing by. "It seems a little strange," she questioned. "Is there a problem?" he said coolly. "Well, for starters, you're never on time for college; how come you showed up so early both yesterday and today?" He smirked as he said, "Well, I think things are about to change from now on." Ashita admired his newfound self-confidence.

Arman checked the SMS he received the previous evening on his phone. "Arrive early at college with Ashita, you'll have an incredible surprise :)" was what it said. "What may be the surprise?" Arman asked himself in his mind.

They soon arrived there and went inside the college grounds. They observed one of their instructors hanging a poster on the bulletin board of the institution. Ashita said, "Good morning, Ma'am. May I know what this poster is about?" The professor said, "It's a singing competition held to choose who will go to compete in the intercollegiate fest. If you know anyone who can sing well, please do contact the head of the cultural team." Ashita gave Arman a glance and motioned for him to join in. Arman responded by nodding his head, indicating that he disagreed with the notion.

"Come on, you have to join in that competition," Ashita pushed as they both entered the classroom where the lecture was about to begin. "See, Ashita, that's a really stupid idea," said Arman. "There are many individuals that sing better than me, that's for certain." "Yes, you are correct—there will be those who excel in your field more than you, but that doesn't mean you should quit. Nobody dies from trying!" Ashita explained, "Who knows? "I think you're better than the rest over here, and you might perform better than any of them," said Ashita with confidence. "I don't think so," shot back Arman, looking extremely unsure of himself. "And please, whatever happens, do not enter my name." "What? "No, I won't do that," Ashita remarked, giggling at the notion that her friend was so familiar with her. Arman sternly remarked, "Oh, I know you so well Ashita, so don't even attempt to pretend that you won't do it."

~.~

When it came time for the break, Ashita headed to the college cafeteria to grab something to eat, while Arman exited the classroom to catch his breath. All of a sudden, Arman recalled the surprise. Arman asked himself, "Wait a minute, what was the surprise about? Has it occurred or is it still pending?"

~beep~

"Patience is virtue, relax, you'll soon find out ;)" appeared in a text message. Arman was becoming restless now and was eager to find out what this huge surprise was. The fact that the person he was messaging had not told him when he would receive the surprise just made him more curious. Arman attempted to unwind, but he couldn't help but be curious. He turned around and spotted Rajnath strolling down the hallway. Rajnath stopped as soon as he saw Arman. There was fear in his eyes. Arman could see he was starting to scare him, but why? That was the primary query. He witnessed Rajnath fleeing the scene.

Arman now firmly realized that something had transpired on the day Rajnath had physically assaulted him at the fair. "I want to know what happened that day with Rajnath, why does he keep running away as soon as he sees me?" was the text that Arman sent after picking up his phone. "Did something happen as I lay on the floor unconscious?" Arman eagerly awaited the response.

~beep~

The text returned with a "Wow! With so many inquiries in a single text message, are you not a naturally inquisitive person? I only have one response to the questions you have asked." "Just tell me the answer, I'm ready to know," Arman responded back.

~beep~

"The solution is simple: certain things are best left unseen," the text said. Arman was perplexed and asked himself, "What sort of an answer is that?"

~beep~

The text read, "That response meant, I will not tell you for your own betterment. Well, all I can say is that he won't ever hurt you or even consider hurting you again." A shiver went down Arman's spine as he read the text. He was desperate to find out what had happened with Rajnath to make him feel so afraid. What did this person do, that he isn't yet ready to disclose to him?

"Hello, Mr. In his own fantasy, What are you doing here? I thought I told you to meet me in the cafeteria," asked Ashita, who was eating a burger and fries. Arman attempted to take a couple fries, but Ashita smacked his hand. "Get your own," Ashita responded, taking a large bite of her hamburger. "Oh god Ashita," Arman said, giving her a terrible glare for smacking his hand. "You know, I was only trying to assist you; you may grow obese if you ate it all by yourself, so I was just being kind," Arman joked. "Keep your help for yourself," Ashita remarked, smiling sarcastically at Arman. Arman laughed, and they both returned to their classrooms as the break ended.

~.~

The last lecture of the day had completed. Arman and Ashita were about to leave the classroom to return home. "Today it was too much," Ashita murmured, clutching her head in her hands because she felt it was heavy. "It wasn't that much, come on," Arman remarked, staring at her and chuckling. "Yeah, of course," Ashita answered, giving Arman a deadly glare. "For you, the smarty pants guy, too much information and studies is not a huge concern, but for me, an average sensible female, it is too much." Arman was beginning to make his argument, but was quickly interrupted by a student who asked him to come to the auditorium. "Why did he expressly ask you to come to the auditorium?" "I have no clue," Arman answered, perplexedly.

They both headed to the auditorium, where many students had gathered. On stage stood the leader of the college's cultural staff, holding a few papers. "So I suppose everyone is here," he began, "so let us announce the names of the students who are competing in the singing competition, which are as follows..." He began to take the names printed on the paper. Arman was puzzled; why was he summoned here? Soon, his eyes widened in surprise when he saw his name on the list of competitors. Ashita's eyes expanded with delight. "So that's where you were all along! You went to register your name," remarked Ashita enthusiastically, "and I am very glad you took that decision." Arman was in astonishment. He knew he hadn't given his name, so how come it was on the list?

Just as he was going to go tell them it was a major mistake, a text message popped up, asking, "So how is the surprise?" ;)