Chapter 12: He Knew It All

"You did it, didn't you?" Arman texted back to the mystery individual. "I am so delighted you are competing in the competition, Arman," remarked Ashita enthusiastically. "I am very proud of you; finally everyone will realize how amazing you are at singing." Arman wasn't paying attention to Ashita; he simply wanted to know who did it. He knew it wasn't her since she was astonished when the news was made. Arman was growing increasingly agitated and annoyed. Why wasn't the individual answering his question?

~beep~

Arman hurriedly opened his phone to read the text message, which read: "maybe yes, maybe not:P." Arman was enraged at the reaction. "How could someone do this to me? He or she, whomever this person is, knows nothing about my life; who gave this person permission to do such a thing with me and my life?" Arman, furious by the unknown person's behavior, wondered. Arman replied back, "Who the actual hell are you to do such a thing? I didn't give you permission to include my name on the list."

~beep~

Arman viewed the message, which read, "so much rage over a minor choice, relax, everything will be OK." Arman was furious by this point, so he turned off his phone, grabbed his bag, and rushed out the auditorium. Ashita tried to stop him, not understanding why he was so upset. Arman kept strolling, without paying attention to anything, forcing him to collide with objects and people.

Finally, he arrived home, dumped his belongings and slammed his door shut, not allowing anybody to talk to him. His mother tried to talk to him, but he did not respond. He sat on his bed and began punching the pillows. He did not wish to compete in any of the competitions for a reason. He did not turn on his phone since he did not want to receive any texts from that individual again. He began kicking objects in rage and wanted to yell at the top of his lungs, but he couldn't. He finally fell asleep, filled with wrath.

~.~

The sun had set, it was late evening, and orange and magenta hues filled the sky. When Arman awoke, he saw the time. It was past 6:30 p.m. Arman massaged his eyes while sitting up in bed.

~beep~

Arman was simultaneously startled and completely baffled. That was the message tone on his phone. Arman said to himself, "I remember that I shut my phone off. Then how is this even possible?" He read the text message that had been opened. "Well, I previously told you that I am not an average person, and sure, I turned on your phone," it stated. Arman felt a chill go down his spine. What frightened Arman was not that the person answered his inquiry after hearing the message tone; rather, it was that this person could turn on his phone and know exactly what question he would ask first.

~beep~

Another text came in saying, "Aren't I one heck of a thing:)" Arman put his head back on his shoulders and wrote back, "I'm still unhappy about what you did today." Another text appeared, and Arman read it: "Look it's for your own good, and relax, you're surely going to win it." Arman took a big breath and replied back, "You have no idea about my backstory. It's something that happened in the past, therefore I don't participate anymore."

~beep~

The text read, "I know everything of it." Arman was puzzled. He chuckled sarcastically, assuming the individual was testing his luck by saying anything strange to learn more about him. "What an old strategy of manipulation," Arman thought. Another text arrived, this time longer: "In fourth grade, there was a singing competition at your school, and you experienced stage fright. You had tried to sing on stage several times before, but boys at your school, such as Rajnath, kept making negative comments, discouraging you. Nonetheless, in the fourth grade competition, you overcame your worries and sang a great song on stage. Even if no one liked it and Rajnath mocked you even more, at least you tried." Arman's eyes widened in horror. This guy knew exactly why he was not participating in the tournament. Another text message appeared on his phone: 'As Ashita advises, face your worries; don't let them dominate you; the past is in the past. At the very least, try it; you've already trusted me; have some confidence. I know what I am doing."

Arman inhaled deeply once again and let go. He was aware that this individual was still assisting him and had not yet caused him any damage. He made the decision to attempt it.

~.~

It was the day that Arman had to sing on stage. His body was full with anxiety and worry. Ashita came backstage to cheer him up and assure him that everything would be alright. Every single competitor sang beautifully, but Arman was scared and worried he wouldn't be able to perform effectively.

Arman seized the microphone and looked around the auditorium. Since Rajnath was not present, Arman thought that the person messaging him had taken care of everything. He closed his eyes, let go of his anxiousness, and began to sing. Everyone was impressed by his performance. Everyone was astounded by his voice; only Ashita knew he could sing that brilliantly. He continued to sing the lyrics with full intensity.

The song soon concluded, and the auditorium was filled with claps and whistles. Arman was surprised by the response. Never in his life has he received such a response. His heart was full of excitement, and his eyes were somewhat teary. He exited the stage, and Ashita quickly hugged him. "That was really beautiful, I'm sure you're going to win," she said with excitement.

~beep~

A text arrived reading, "Good performance indeed." Arman was pleased when he performed on stage without receiving any criticisms. Arman had no hopes of winning the tournament; for him, simply appearing on stage and singing was enough.

"Now, for the winner, the second runner-up is..." The cultural head began to announce the winners. Arman smiled as he added, "Come Ashita, we should leave now." "No, no, hush, let me hear," Ashita said. "And the winner of the competition... any guesses?" asked the cultural director. Arman was overjoyed when the audience began to yell his name, indicating that he had won. "And the winner is Arman Sheikh." Arman and Ashita celebrated the achievement at the campus canteen. "This means you'll have to go and perform in the intercollegiate festival," Ashita said excitedly. Arman was not happy about it, but a text message from the anonymous individual informed him that he did not need to worry since the festival will be cancelled.

~.~

He returned home after enjoying too much in the evening. He kept beaming and was quite delighted on the inside. He informed his mother about it, and she was somewhat pleased. He returned to his room.

~beep~

Arman opened the text and read: "So, how does it feel?" Arman texted: 'heavenly.' Arman simply kept smiling and then understood that this individual knew about his past. He grabbed up his phone and texted, "How did you know about my past?" a text arrived in response: 'I know a lot of things, even knew that you would surely win that tournament too.'

With a sardonic smirk, Arman texted, "What are you?" Mr. Know it All?" In response, a text message said, "Well, I won't provide my name to you in any manner, but Mr. Know It All, yeah! That name is so lovely:)"