Prologue: Wrist Watches and Fate

Author Note: No dialogue in the prologue but this is really just a background of the two before I get into it. I'll be posting both this and the first chapter at the same time so continue on, don't let this shitty preface faze you, it seriously gets better!

Jack was never one to test fate, even when it proved difficult to trust. Like the time when he woke up late for an exam in high school and had to walk three miles to take it because his car just so happened to break down that day; Jack didn't even question it, believing there had to be some 'higher force' dictating these certain types of situations.

Not everyone in his life was as trusting in fate, take his parents for example, they weren't soulmates, but the watches on their wrists were both still active. It's not that they didn't believe in fate, but they didn't trust that they might not die alone if they didn't find someone fast. They married in their early twenties, had Jack in their third year of marriage, but they fought constantly.

Jack always believed it was because they'd never met their soulmates, blaming their unhappiness on the ticking watches that they chose to ignore. His father still had years left on his and his mother had about twice as much as his father, so he couldn't blame them for not wanting to wait. But when Jack got his watch put on during his first birthday, which is when every child got theirs, he had roughly over 25 years to go.

While the majority of the people from the schools he went to had usually around 14-19, it didn't make Jack any less confident that he could wait, not wanting to end up in a marriage like his own folks. Of course there were those that had only a few short years, meeting in their second grade classes or on vacations with their parents to Disneyland or whatnot.

A part of Jack was jealous that he couldn't grow up knowing his soulmate, but the other part was happy he wouldn't have to wait to his fifties. Though most of the world all accepted that soulmates existed long before the watch technology, Jack pitied those whose watches hadn't started yet or those that had stopped.

His parents explained to him in middle school that watches that never started were those that were either broken or those that signified their soulmates hadn't been born or reached their first birthday yet. If it was broken then you would never know when you'd meet your soulmate, which didn't seem appealing to Jack. And if they had stopped, which was even worse, meant that their soul mate had died. Everyone only got one soulmate, but although Jack trusted fate, he couldn't help but wonder that in the next 25 years something might happen to his.

When it got to Jack's 26th birthday he knew he was close to meeting his soulmate, but that didn't stop him from living his life. He trusted fate enough to let him go on doing what he'd always do, and two month after his birthday he had plans on going to America.

Ever since getting out of college with a degree in game development (because who was he kidding about his first idea to go into hotel management, that would have been a pretty dumb idea) Jack had been working as a game developer for a major company and he was finally nearing his annual vacation time. Ireland was great but Jack was itching to leave ever since his best friend, and coworker, Felix had told him about his travels from Sweden and the U.S.

Jack didn't have any family to visit in CA, because both his parents were Irish, but everyone he ever met who had been to California said it was beautiful. Yep, good old west coast was where he was heading and he knew very well his soul mate would be there because that's how fate worked in his mind.

As Jack settled in for the night in his dark flat that he rented, he contemplated what their face would look like, but he could never picture it. He tried with all his might to imagine some type of feature, something significant to look out for when he got to L.A., but nothing ever came.