Chapter 5: Inner Wars and Schemes

Author's Note: The Cafe's name is Smol Beans because Jackaboy is a smol bean and someone gave me the idea on AO3. Anyway, enjoy! <3

It was after dusk when Mark and Jack both walked silently back to the hotel. The silence wasn't as awkward as when they had first walked to the Smol Beans Cafe, if anything it was a bit forlorn. At least that's what Jack picked up, there was a feeling like there were words left unsaid. But he kept quiet, like he normally did.

Once they were back at room 492, with the weird feeling still up in the air, Mark stood still like a stranger as Jack pulled out his room key, opening his door and standing in the doorway. Mark's eyes were averted but Jack's were glued to him like a magnet. Which, in many cases, was exactly what his soulmate was. An ever drawing force.

"Do ya, maybe wanna come in?" Jack knew he was pushing his limit on the amount of time Mark would spend with him, but he couldn't help but ask. He chewed on his lip, hoping the brief stillness was a good sign but Mark didn't look any bit close to accepting the offer.

"I don't think that would be a good idea..." His expression was guilt ridden, his words sounding like a dreadful goodbye.

Jack nodded, reluctantly agreeing. "Right. Of course, you're right, bad idea..."

This is my last time seeing him, isn't it? Jack's eyes started welling up with tears, thankfully Mark wasn't looking. I didn't even get to know him for a full day and now he's...

"But maybe, I could see you tomorrow?"

Jack's eyes snapped up to Mark's down-turned face. "Really?"

"For lunch if you're up for it," Mark clarified, his eyes still fixed to the hallway carpet, "I'm sorry if I ruined your night tonight by my... confession. And then by going on about my Ex, even if you did ask. You're a guest to L.A.," he laughed dryly, "I'm afraid I've given you a bad impression of the place and the people. Everyone's not an asshole like me, I swear."

"I wouldn't call yeh an asshole." Jack smiled, tears begging to leak out momentarily forgotten. "At least not that big of one," he quipped, attempting to lighten the mood.

Mark laughed again. "Hmm, yeah, well that's good. So what do you say to lunch? J-Just as an apology of course."

The last sentence disappointed Jack a bit, because he knew the underlying meaning. This wouldn't be a date, and it wasn't a promise, even a gateway, for anything more than just lunch. Just like coffee had been. But Jack was excited to see him tomorrow anyway, even if it would be the last time.

"That is if you're even going to be here," Mark added after a prolonged silence. "You have travel plans to leave some time, I presume?"

"O-of course, yes, I do. But my flight doesn't leave until 6 days from now. I have 5 days left here."

"5 days?" Mark looked thoughtful, it made Jack want to read his thoughts. Everything about him spurred on a curiosity like none other. It was starting to drive Jack insane.

"5 days," Jack repeated. Yep, just 5 measly days and he'd be half a world away from his soulmate. But did the distance even matter if he'd still feel just as unwanted here 2 feet away from him if he was in Ireland?

"Well, I hope the last five days are enjoyable."

Jack smiled again. "I hope so too. See yeh tomorrow then?"

Mark smiled back, however less promising than the response. "Yeah." But as Mark turned to leave Jack remembered something.

"Oh! Wait, I should probably give ya my cellphone number."